Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobo2000
The computers are all basically the same just different programming. Slap them into different cases with different names on them and woman will buy them.[...]When you can't get it fixed, you will buy new. Doing demo's with machines that you can try out, cost them profit $'s. So, no more commissioned dealerships.

'member suffragettes? Maybe it's time for Sewfragettes!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 AM

I had been thinking about looking at the Pfaff's and Bernina's as an "upgrade" to my Brother's but I think I'll keep what I have since I've never had any problems with them. BTW...did you know that the same manufacturer makes Babylock and Brother?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I had been thinking about looking at the Pfaff's and Bernina's as an "upgrade" to my Brother's but I think I'll keep what I have since I've never had any problems with them. BTW...did you know that the same manufacturer makes Babylock and Brother?

Actually, Babylock is made in the Brother factory to Babylock specifications. That is not the same as *made by Brother*.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

BTW...did you know that the same manufacturer makes Babylock and Brother?
I recently bought a Babylock Espire (love her!!!!!) and it was explained to me that Brother is the lower end manufacture line and Babylock has the higher end standards. Great warranty on Babylock.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
BTW...did you know that the same manufacturer makes Babylock and Brother?
I recently bought a Babylock Espire (love her!!!!!) and it was explained to me that Brother is the lower end manufacture line and Babylock has the higher end standards. Great warranty on Babylock.

I'm so jealous! You have the Espire. That is my dream machine and hopefully I'll be able to get the new Symphony in a year or so. I'm a die hard Babylock gal. I own 5 BL machines. My sewing is done on a Pfaff 7570. Great machine but will never buy another Pfaff because the quality just isn't like it was. Babylock really stands behind their products.

Brother and Babylock have no affiliation except that Babylock hires them to manufacture their machines, to their spec's. Babylock does not own a factory so they hire Brother. For what it is worth, Babylock is owned by Tacony, an American company.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I'm so jealous! You have the Espire. That is my dream machine and hopefully I'll be able to get the new Symphony in a year or so.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I just had a class with Quilla yesterday. She got to try on her quilting shoes. Too bad she is cursed with an owner who has little quilting style (as of yet). There is hope. lol
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Same thing happened to A couple of Bernina dealers in the Orlando area. Said they were too close together. I switched to Janomes.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by cindyg19
This happened with Bernina last year, in southern Florida. They took the dealership away from 2 of my area quilt shops. I did not appreciate that and neither did many of their other customers. Now we are left with only 2 dealerships in (long) driving distance. I can't understand the rationale.
Where in S Florida do you live? Jupiter Quilt shop is still a Bernina dealership and Bunnell quilt shop. Quilt Scene in Miami is still a Bernina sealership.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM

Reading this with interest and somehow it went off course from the original question but for us older people the same conversation was going on only it was about products made Japan. Remember all those products of lower quality and cost? They were made in Japan and people bought it because it was cheap. Now it is China. If you want a 100 dollar sewing machine that is what you get, a Chinese manufactured sewing machine. The world of consumerism is based on the masses, that is where the money is. For the record there are some very high quality products made in China. Our home is very diverse on sewing machines. We have a Bernina730e made in Switzerland, A Bernina B330 made in Thailand (very, very solid machine by the way), a Juki 98Q made in Japan (extremely well made) and a Brother CE4000 that just cost 80 dollars but still a really good machine. There you have it, the cheapest is made in China. As for service we have the best Bernina dealer within an hours drive, there is a great Juki dealer that is also an hours drive. The Brother, well since it cost 80 bucks I guess you just fill up the landfill.
Thank you for letting me give my opinion.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:24 PM

My Viking is made by Husquvarna and was made in Sweden it's from the 90's I was thinking of geting a new one. Husquvarna has a repair place I think in Ohio. When my mother -in-law past away I got hers and gave my singer to one of the daughters guess I should have kept my singer