Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photo copy for DeskJet at JoAnn's >

Photo copy for DeskJet at JoAnn's

Photo copy for DeskJet at JoAnn's

Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I have never attempted to print any lettering onto muslin or using what I think is prefab muslin by using my H/P DeskJet 932C. I looked at all the different brands they had at my local JAF and I was totally confused as to what would work best for just printing black lettering. Has anybody used a specific brand?? Does Excel or Word works best?? Do you need to do any flip image?? Or any other ideas on how to get printed black words onto a piece of muslin fabric that is simple?? Open to any and ALL suggestions. Please remember I am NOT using color, only black. I appreciate any assistance anybody can toss my way. I hope to make a trip soon to purchase what I need to finish this UFO.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

I use EQ7 to make my labels, but if all you want is lettering in black and white it shouldn't matter what program you use. You will just be printing on fabric instead of on paper, so practice on paper until it looks like what you want (font, size, placement, etc.) I use the Printed Treasures sheets that I buy at JoAnn's.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM

I read an article a while back on the different inkjet photo fabric sheets. If I remember correctly, the Electric Quilt and Printed Treasures ones were reviewed and not bad. I have used black for the text and it work fine. The image will print as it is on the screen if you are using the regular fabric sheets. If you use the iron on transfers, you'd have to flip it.

I think you might want to try Word over Excel because you might find it easier to center the text on the label. I often insert a clip art frame, then put a text box on top of it with the wording I want. It spruces it up a bit. Or you can just add words, resize to get the size label and text you want, experiment with different fonts.

Be sure to read the packaging to see what the particular brand you get says to do after. I forget the brand I used last, maybe Jacquard, but it says to let it sit 24 hours, then wet it down and let it dry. After that I press it. I know the ones I made the grandkids get washed often. They do fade a little, but still legible.

Have fun!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM

I read an article a while back on the different inkjet photo fabric sheets. If I remember correctly, the Electric Quilt and Printed Treasures ones were reviewed and not bad. I have used black for the text and it work fine. The image will print as it is on the screen if you are using the regular fabric sheets. I think if you use the iron on transfers, you'd have to flip it.

I think you might want to try Word over Excel because you might find it easier to center the text on the label. I often insert a clip art frame, then put a text box on top of it with the wording I want. It spruces it up a bit. Or you can just add words, resize to get the size label and text you want, experiment with different fonts.

Be sure to read the packaging to see what the particular brand you get says to do after. I forget the brand I used last, maybe Jacquard, but it says to let it sit 24 hours, then wet it down and let it dry. After that I press it. I know the ones I made the grandkids get washed often. They do fade a little, but still legible.

Have fun!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:48 PM

I went to Google and typed ...How to print a label on fabric for free.....I clicked on the first one and it was really simple..
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM

Use your word program and do a preview before you print it.
Go into word art.

Go to insert, then picture and then word art. From there you will choose your font, color shape etc.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH2R2dVQxc

this is probably the link that Sak658 was talking about. It is a 5 minute video that is pretty good.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mH2R2dVQxc

this is probably the link that Sak658 was talking about. It is a 5 minute video that is pretty good.
Yes, that's the one... really simple.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Sorry that I can't watch the video because I have dial up Internet service.

this is probably the link that Sak658 was talking about. It is a 5 minute video that is pretty good.[/quote]

Yes, that's the one... really simple.[/quote]