Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photo fabric >

Photo fabric

Photo fabric

Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM

Question Photo fabric

Hello,

I made a photo quilt a year or so ago and used photo fabric from Joann's (can't remember the name) and used my little personal printer at home. I learned two very valuable lessons from that quilt...always prewash red fabric and test wash a photo printed on photo fabric. I did neither, and yes, the red bled and yes, the pictures faded after one wash.

I'm looking for suggestions for a high quality photo fabric. I think I've resolved my printer issue as I have a Konica Minolta BizHub at work that will print way better than any personal printer. I will just have to mess with the settings to get good, high quality output.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Michelle
Old 12-19-2011, 01:57 PM

I've used "photo" fabric for years. After some trial & error, I now stay with Miracle Fabric Sheets by C.Jenkins. I just bought some online by google-ing "Miracle Fabric Sheets". I got more than 3 hits and after checking on several, I found softexpressions.com had the best price today; however, check around before you buy. Do not use a product called Printed Treasures. I made a couple of labels and the ink faded and ran......luckily before I put them on the quilt. Also, be sure to follow the directions on whatever product you use.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM

What about Bubble Jet? You soak fabric in it, and let dry. Then iron it onto freezer paper the size of printer paper and print on that? Does it have good results?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Some of the June Taylor Printed Treasure fabric states "Dry Clean only"...did you ck first...I've used only that type and never had a problem because I take it to the cleaners.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I use the Electric Quilt brand , picked it because it was machine washable

as for the printer- anyone should work well as long as you set print quality - to the highest resolution- some are High, or picture quality
Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
I use the Electric Quilt brand , picked it because it was machine washable

as for the printer- anyone should work well as long as you set print quality - to the highest resolution- some are High, or picture quality
As for a printer: ink jet only. Do NOT use BEST or highest quality printing as it will probably put down too much ink on your work. I use the next level down for printing.

ali
Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 PM

I use the printed treasures and have not had any problems, except when my husband refilled the cartridges, not good. I am now using the HP ink and again, no problems. I have heard on this board that the Electric Quilt sheets are softer, so when I run out, I will try those next. I print most of my labels on them and so far so good with multiple washings.