Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: which photo transfer to use?

which photo transfer to use?

I am making a baby quilt for a co-worker and she wants me to use pictures from a child's story book. I have the design ready, but want to make sure I use a good quality photo transfer fabric that is not going to fade or run.
    Have any of you done this? If so, what is the best brand to use. I have an ink jet printer.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It’s not so much the fabric that matters; it is the type of ink used by the printer. You need to use pigmented ink. Let me see if I can find a link to a good explanation.

Okay, found the link:
    http://www.gloriahansen.com/articles.php?p=1&ID=14

My sister had trouble getting her printer to feed transfer fabric sheets at all! She tried three kinds.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Printed Treasures with a HP ink jet printer. Done at least 4 years ago and still going strong. I heat set the pictures whether the directions said to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by fktsewing View Post
    I am making a baby quilt for a co-worker and she wants me to use pictures from a child's story book. I have the design ready, but want to make sure I use a good quality photo transfer fabric that is not going to fade or run.
    Have any of you done this? If so, what is the best brand to use. I have an ink jet printer.
    Thanks
    Does copywrite violation enter in here anywhere?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    Printed Treasures with a HP ink jet printer. Done at least 4 years ago and still going strong. I heat set the pictures whether the directions said to or not.
    Exactly what I use with excellent results.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

I experimented once with Jo Ann's photo copy packages for a Pony Club quilt. Black and white photos of childhood memories and color did well with her papers. (fabric on paper with HP Office pro 8600 printer). If you have a Copy Printer business near you, that might work well for you to print out the pictures, if copyright is not a question or you have permission from the author/ illustrator.

No, it does not because I am not charging her for it. It is a personal gift from me to the new baby.