Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photographing quilts >

Photographing quilts

Photographing quilts

Old 08-13-2019, 02:32 AM

Default Photographing quilts

I'm wondering how you all manage to get good pictures of your quilts. Do you use a camera or your phone? How do you hang them or show them to best advantage? Although my quilting room has a double bed, it isn't always light enough to take good pictures in. I can't always find tall enough people to hold my quilts, either. I don't have a clothes line or fence to hang them from and live in a condo so floor space is at a premium. Looking for some new ideas!
Old 08-13-2019, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

Draped down the couch will work. I use my old iPad to take pictures because they won’t load from my new iPad.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:47 AM
Power Poster

I use my phone since it has a great camera. My donation quilts are not large. I live in an apartment building. The hallways have bright light. I lay the quilt in the hallway and use my step stool to get high enough for the entire quilt. For larger quilts, I have hung them from the shower curtain clipping it onto the rings. Since I belong to a couple of guilds, I can always have someone there hold them.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:25 AM

With my vision issues I don't have a smart phone, my emergency flip phone can take pictures but I don't really know how/have never done it. We have an older digital camera with a card that I can insert into a USB drive holder, it isn't a direct USB connection.

I have a small house and no really good way to take pictures of completed large quilts. So I use my large workspace which is also my queen sized bed. Gives consistency as well when you look at the multiple pictures but always the same headboard. Always end up chopping off part of the quilts in the pictures, but the smaller ones work pretty well. Still, I'm not such a fan of the distortion that comes from taking the picture at the foot of the bed.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:06 AM

I will frequently drape my quilts over the love seat in my living room. The fire place makes a nice backdrop, the quilts that are on the wall add to the final picture. When I am showing the progress of the quilt I will usually take pics on the floor as I am trying to show a bit of the detailed progress. My avatar is a prime example.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 AM

I will lay them on the floor and then get up on a chair to take a picture from above.
I use a digital camera and use a free editing programme called Ribbet on the net and I use the "straighten" function to get them as square as possible.
I've seen people use pants hangers with the clips to hang quilts from to photograph and I think that's a great idea.

Watson
Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 AM

I use my iPad usually. My iPhone takes good pictures also. I have double doors on my sewing room, and some quilt holders on the top of the doors to hold the quilt. My husband has a big light he uses for his band. The extra light really helps. Putting a quilt on a bed usually doesn’t work for me because I can’t get the right angle for taking the picture showing the whole quilt. I know people that take them outside and lay them on the lawn or over a fence.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I love taking pictures outside if possible. the best ones are in sunlight. but if not that, i try to place them where ever i have good over head light. they look good draped over a sofa or bench or bed. it's not always possible to find a tall person to hold the quilt up for you. I"ve even draped quilts over my fence.
and i use my little camera. load onto my computer, resize and save. they load fine in here. Not sure how to do that on my new style phone but my camera works fine for me.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:34 PM

I love to see photos on this forum of completed quilts on a bed. Seeing them in a room really seems to set them off.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

I no longer take photos of my quilts.