Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Photo's for a Memory Quilt >

Photo's for a Memory Quilt

Photo's for a Memory Quilt

Old 04-17-2011, 08:22 PM

I want to make a memory quilt for my youngest sister's 60th birthday next year, and have asked my nephew for some photo's to use. At the moment I intend using fabric with freezer paper on the back to print them - cheaper than paying $6.95 per sheet for Printed Treasures, or buying a program e.g.Photoshop, especially if I mess some up as I have never done this before.

My nephew is happy to scan and send me some, and this is part of the reply I received from him:

"I can scan the photos and e-mail them to you (your gmail a/c can handle large attachments). In what resolution and file type would you prefer the images to be sent?"

Whilst not being completely computer illiterate, this has me flummoxed. I imagine quite a few of you print photo's onto fabric, so I hope you can help me.

My gmail a/c can handle large files, so that is no problem, But what resolution and file type does he need to send them to me in? Is there something I need to use to 'set' the photo's before adding them to the quilt?

Any help would be most gratefully accepted.

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 PM

I think you need the photos to be in "jpeg" format at the highest resolution possible. The higher the resolution, the better the quality. I hope someone with more knowledge can help you with this.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM

I will just say that if you are going to print these photos at home on fabric that has been ironed to freezer paper that is fine but you are going to need to treat the fabric BEFORE you print on it with a solution such as Bubble Jet Set! Printing without treating the fabric will probably without a doubt cause HUGE problems!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 PM

Sorry I really don't know any more. J peg is correct.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

Actually, TIFF files are better quality, but it's not that big a deal. Just remember that even with the Bubble Set stuff, the quilt really isn't washable more than once or twice (if that) without losing the photos. For a truly permanent photo, that will survive normal washings, you will need to have the photos printed professionally (on the fabric of your choice, of course). Ask me how I know!! This quilt has been washed in a regular washer more than a dozen times. The photos are still perfect.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185843.jpe  
Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 AM

I've made several photo quilts. I can't remember what I used for the 1st, a Family Tree wallhanging, but it ran & messed up the photos. :cry: I've used Printed Treasures for the others and had no problems with anything running. :lol: I would NEVER use anything other than Printed Treasures again. :thumbup:
Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gramajo
I've made several photo quilts. I can't remember what I used for the 1st, a Family Tree wallhanging, but it ran & messed up the photos. :cry: I've used Printed Treasures for the others and had no problems with anything running. :lol: I would NEVER use anything other than Printed Treasures again. :thumbup:
How often has it been washed?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
At least 5 times that I know of. Those times, I used warm water on gentle cycle & dried in the dryer.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Banned

At least 5 times that I know of. Those times, I used warm water on gentle cycle & dried in the dryer.[/quote]

That's pretty good! I'm going to check it out. Mine were guaranteed for more than 50 washings, and were fairly pricey, but worth it.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 AM

I agree. Why make more work for yourself.
sandy