Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
picing w/2 inch squares >

picing w/2 inch squares

picing w/2 inch squares

Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Hi. I am looking for advice. I am piecing a portion of my quilt backing using 2 inch squares. Are the lengthwise edges sewn together or do you alternate lengthwise and crosswise edges together? Or is it mandatory to be sure the lengthwise edges are on the vertical? I am concerned about it ending up "wonky".
thanks for any tips.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

My answer would be different depending on the number you are stitching together and the configuration.

Eg. 4 blocks by 30?
or 12 blocks by 12?
or larger?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM

If they are already cut, how does one tell the difference?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Are the squares already cut? Or are you piecing strips, then cutting into squares?

If the fabric has not yet been cut, I would recommend heavily starching the fabric. This prevents stretching and distortion while you piece.

If piecing strips, they are more stable cut lengthwise rather than the most usual crosswise. The lengthwise grain is more stable, so the strips will go together with less distortion. If you can heavily starch before cutting strips, then it won't matter whether the strips are cut crosswise or lengthwise.

If you are piecing already-cut squares, I'm not sure how you could keep track of lengthwise/crosswise grain unless the fabric has a directional print.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99
Are the squares already cut? Or are you piecing strips, then cutting into squares?

If the fabric has not yet been cut, I would recommend heavily starching the fabric. This prevents stretching and distortion while you piece.

If piecing strips, they are more stable cut lengthwise rather than the most usual crosswise. The lengthwise grain is more stable, so the strips will go together with less distortion. If you can heavily starch before cutting strips, then it won't matter whether the strips are cut crosswise or lengthwise.

If you are piecing already-cut squares, I'm not sure how you could keep track of lengthwise/crosswise grain unless the fabric has a directional print.
Good thought, I was thinking she was meaning the length/crosswise of the back of the quilt!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM

wow i am confused must be that kind of day lol
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I have mine cut in a box for leaders and Enders. There's no way I'm gonna check every single one if they are being sewn lengthwise or otherwise. Yikes! Sounds like too much work for me.. Lol.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Good thought, I was thinking she was meaning the length/crosswise of the back of the quilt!
I thought the same thing and in that case I am no expert but unless your putting it on a frame does it matter which way your seams are running? I could understand if one is going to LAQ it because it would be pulled more in one direction or the other but then again even then there shouldn't be so much tension on the fabric that there is a risk of slitting seams!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

as long as they are not bias cuts it does not really matter- with only a 2" piece you are not going to experience undo stretching-which would be the only reason to even think about cross-wise vs. lengthwise...
bias is stretchy...regardless of size.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:23 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Cut a couple 5" squares. Just make sure it's cut on the straight of grain (iow, don't grab a scrap where you can't tell ;-) ).
Or use some squares from a charm pack.

Now stretch a square gently on the east/west axis. And then do it on the north/south axis.

One way will be tighter and have less give - that's the warp (lengthwise - parallel to the selvage).

And the other way will have more stretch in it - that's the weft (width-wise/crosswise).

For Bea's problem with 2" squares, it's really not a issue, and wouldn't make much of a difference, because as Prism99 & ckcowl both said, they're just 2". ;-)

But there are instances when it's beneficial to take that into consideration. It can reduce stretching and strengthen the construction. Even when you're not dealing with any exposed bias edges.
It's the sort of thing you don't notice until you do it, and then you realize how wonky the previous attempts really were. :mrgreen: