Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Picking "random" pieces >

Picking "random" pieces

Picking "random" pieces

Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Make the worst matches possible, except for not putting two of the same together. When made, it will look perfect!!!! (You are trying too hard....)
This is my philosophy exactly!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM

I'm trying right now to do that, and I just can't get past the colors that I don't believe go well together. Fortunately, a lot of my fabrics do coordinate, but if I run out a one fabric, then I'm in trouble. But I look at every scrappy quilt pictured on this board, and I love them all. I even look very closely to see what the fabrics are, but I just can't seem to pull it together.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:16 PM

When I make scrap quilts, usually 9 patches, the squares go into a brown paper bag. I randomly pick them out a few (5 or 6) at a time & use them all before picking out others. If I were to judge each 9 patch, I'd puke! Put them all together & it's gorgeous! Keep going!
Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM

I know what you mean. Scrappy quilts are dones this way sometimes but I need to try to control. That's why I don't accomplish as much. I would suggest sorting darks and lights into different bags and pick from these. At least you will get a dark when you need it and not a light. Good luck. I really like the first one.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM

OK, doing better with the random, HOWEVER!, my 7 1/2" white rectangles were cut (yeah, by me) 7 1/4"!!! Oh well, just the first 8 of them that I did trial blocks from so at least I caught it now! The rest of the stack are the correct size. Probably won't even unpick too much as I have lots of squares.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Even tho I put all my little squares (about 500) in the dryer to tumble them and then in a plastic bag to be shaken even more, when it comes time to reach in grab some and sew them....I CAN'T DO IT! I just have to arrange and re-arrange. Please help me!! Black bag, little hole? Ask GS to pass me one at a time?

What do you do? Maybe I'll have to sort just a bit. Light, med and dark for eg. Do love the fabrics, tho!
They are your scraps, if they want to make you happy, then just go with it. You can't fool me, I will not help you alert the quilt police! LOL! :thumbup:
Old 10-14-2010, 06:31 PM

I havn't done too much random piecing. I can't get my mind programed to think that way. Maybe I'll try it again and see what happens. I just might make the next earthquake quilt.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
OK, doing better with the random, HOWEVER!, my 7 1/2" white rectangles were cut (yeah, by me) 7 1/4"!!! Oh well, just the first 8 of them that I did trial blocks from so at least I caught it now! The rest of the stack are the correct size. Probably won't even unpick too much as I have lots of squares.
Kitsie, your avatar is beautiful, by the way.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM

My son is now 25, but when he was 3 or so, I let him choose what square was next. He felt so proud, he was helping mommy, and for years I had a remembrance of our day together. He had this large space to fill up with colored squares
You know, he still has what I call an 'engineer' brain. Even when given a coloring book, he'd make a geometric design on the paper, like the picture wasn't even there, very engineer-like
He grew up to do something in computer networking, I'd explain it but that would mean I have to understand it!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

Kitsie, I am the same way. :lol: I really like your block tho!