Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
picking a pattern >

picking a pattern

picking a pattern

Old 03-08-2010, 08:53 AM

I love 30's and 40's fabric, I am in the middle of making my daughters quilt I named Bedroom Floor because using all the different fabrics. In her quilt she really didn't want a pattern like the double wedding ring. So I am making it in a Chevron ( V ) and it is turning out great. Although what turned me onto using 30's prints was two wonderful books (Link to the '30s) Making the quilts we didn't inherit by Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine The quilt that I fell in love with in that book is Chain Line looks hard but very easy to make. They give great instructions! Then there is Nana's Big Quilts by. Beth Little. I am planing on making the quilt on the cover of this book only not doing the sawtooth edging. Keep looking in magazines and quilt books the right one will come to you. And you will know it because your heart say this is IT! ;-)
Old 03-08-2010, 09:46 AM

what a wonderful reply...you spoke with your heart and i thank you. i will look for those books...i am a book lover as well as a new convert to the love of quilts. thanks again for the encouragement and information.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM

I've just finished a log cabin pattern for my dad and it came together quickly .
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 AM

Quilter girl does not like yellow but she made a gorgeous quilt:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28583-1.htm

You can search this site for 30s quilts and she more.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mona z
I haven't met a pattern I don't like...that's the problem. I do favor traditional - but am so darned indecisive for a 62 yr. old. I made 2 baby quilts and took one quilting class - so that was easy. Now I want to quilt to keep these hands busy and because I love the precision of it all...my ocd is showing. Thanks, Mona
Oh so many patterns and sew little time..lol...I agree start looking at magazine..I love F & P but also really like McCalls Quick Quilts as I really think they are a great resource for beginners. Welcome to the group.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1785.jpe  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mona z
hi folks, i am new at forums and a fairly new quilter. i love it but have such a hard time picking a pattern. i have some wonderful 30's prints all set and ready to use for a quilt for my queen size bed, but just can't make a decision. any help?

Go to quilterscache.com and take a look at her selection. She has them rated with yellow pins next to the name. One pin is easy, something a beginner can do. I personally like "Crossed Roads" but I cannot remember how many pins it has.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:33 AM

When I need inspiration for a pattern, I have two places I go to:

I open Google, click on Images and in the search field, I put something that relates to the kind of quilt I want, such as "patriotic sampler quilts" "large quilt blocks" "9 patch quilts" etc. So many gorgeous images to look at and sometimes the web pages that result are helpful.

Then I take my inspiration and head on over to
www.quilterscache.com and check out her hundreds of blocks. The great thing about this site, is almost every block is shown in a quilt pattern, plus she has images of the blocks made by others, along with instructions.

Diane
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM

thanks dee fox, you gave me a big smile with that reply...thanks i needed that. gonna love this feisty group.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:30 PM

I'm so indecisive I made a sampler quilt. That way I could do one of all the different blocks that I liked. It also gave me a chance to try all the different piecing techniques. I really had a great learning experience making it. Still am actually. I'm to the sandwiching stage.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by dmackey
When I need inspiration for a pattern, I have two places I go to:

I open Google, click on Images and in the search field, I put something that relates to the kind of quilt I want, such as "patriotic sampler quilts" "large quilt blocks" "9 patch quilts" etc. So many gorgeous images to look at and sometimes the web pages that result are helpful.

Then I take my inspiration and head on over to
www.quilterscache.com and check out her hundreds of blocks. The great thing about this site, is almost every block is shown in a quilt pattern, plus she has images of the blocks made by others, along with instructions.

Diane
I love Quilter's Cache. I have made many a quilt from their patterns. As a new quilter I found that a Sampler Quilt was the best starter. I started with a 12" block that you can find very simply with Quilter's Cache and then just go from there. Your colors do NOT have to match, you can design either from your heart or your palate. I do both. I am working on two Sampler Quilts right now and love each one - just finished a Log Cabin block, now am working on a Lady of the Lake block. You never get bored. Also, as I am prone to do, keep a log of your blocks/quilts. Give a book with the provenance of your quilt, stories of the fabric, why you chose that particular block and end the block page with a little saying or adage, maybe a recipe - a little family anecdote or something a little humorous or a lot humorous. Just a little thought. I just made a quilt with 632 blocks (4" and went darn near nutso. I am so happy to be back doing a sampler. It takes 35 blocks (7 down x 5 across with a 2" sashing and 4" border) to make a huge quilt and 3 across x 5 down with a 2" sashing and a 4" border to make a coverlet. Have fun, enjoy and love what you are doing. Edie