Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pictures printed on cotton >

Pictures printed on cotton

Pictures printed on cotton

Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 PM

I want to make my gs a quilt before he leaves for college (next year) Unforunatly all his shirts from his sports over the years he has thrown out. I can get photos of him in his sport shirts so I thought I would just use that for the squares. Today at JoAnns I looked and the photo copy material they have. There are so many I don't know what would be the best. Also if I should take them somewhere to be printed on the material as I only have a little home printer.
I know its a year until he leaves but the way I work I thought I'd better start now. Thanks for all the good advise on this group and thanks for the help from your experiences.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM

some time ago one of the quilting magazines did some research on this and in their opinion, Printed Treasures was the best overall. There may have been some changes in quality since then, however, but I use Printed treasures and like it. Unfortunately, Joanns doesn't sell it - I get mine at LQSs.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM

By photo copy material I assume you mean the pre-cut, backed fabric sheets. If so, they can be used on your home printer. Some are specifically for either inkjet or laser, so you need to be careful that you get the right one.

I find Matilda's Own the best but they may not be available in the US. I have also used Printed Treasures.

You just print, let dry, peel the backing off and rinse. Some brands require a setting agent in the rinse.

It's easy-peasy. Give it a go.

You can also use freezer paper to make your own sheets. Iron freezer paper to your fabric and cut to printer size.

Make sure you use "best" setting on your printer for photo quality.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I will only add that most of these have to be printed on ink-jet, not laser.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 PM

I use bubble jet to treat fabric and print on that. If you do not treat the fabric the picture will wash out.