Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced Quilt Back Calculaltion Help >

Pieced Quilt Back Calculaltion Help

Pieced Quilt Back Calculaltion Help

Old 05-31-2020, 12:04 PM

Default Pieced Quilt Back Calculaltion Help

I've finished piecing quilt blocks for my son's wedding guest book quilt. I'm going to add a 1 1/2" white border thanks to all your lovely input. The happy couple have decided they want to use leftover fabric for the quilt back. I attached the design they choose for the quilt back design. I feel like I need to sew together four vertical strips to to achieve this look. I'm having trouble calculating what size the center squares should be and what the measurements are to accomplish this design! My brain freezes whenever I try to figure this kind of stuff out!!!

The finished size of the quilt top is 51" X 69" (that's after I add the 1 1/2" border).

Do any of you have suggestions, calculations or advice on how to cut out and piece this quilt back design? I really appreciate any and all your help and will post the finished quilt after it's done!

Thank you for all your help,

Sande
Attached Thumbnails quilt-back-design.jpg   img_2167.jpeg  
Old 05-31-2020, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Do you want your backing to be a bit larger than the top for quilting?
I would start with a sheet of graph paper, decide what your backing size will be, draw that on the graph paper- assigning the correct amount for each square ( like 72” long - 3” squares you would draw down 24 squares for example)
after having your outside measurements figured out and drawn on find the center then draw your center blocks.
if you don’t have any graph paper there are plenty of free graph paper sheets you can download and print off to use.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:49 PM

Yes, I need to make it a bit larger for the Longarm quilter. Using graph paper is a very good suggestion! Thank you,
Old 05-31-2020, 02:23 PM

I looked at your dilemma and thought, I'll just draw this in EQ7. Well, it has decided that it doesn't like your measurements at all. lol Maybe it's just me??? : All my numbers are finished lengths and have to have extra added for quilting shrinkage! I long arm my quilts and I leave at least 3 inches on each side for this movement. Even, if you quilt yourself, you need a little bit extra.

You appear to have divided the quilt in half, from top to bottom, and then side to side. That makes the calculations easier.

For the length, you appear to have drawn out the sections by dividing by 8. Meaning, that 3/8 of your quilt is the top part, then you will have the center where you change your colors which is 2/8 and then the bottom which is the other 3/8. If you add these up, you come up to 8/8--- 1 whole measurement. I upsized your length to 72 inches because you need some extra and 72 is divided by 8 = 9 inches x 2 parts for those middle inserts. At first I thought you wanted squares for the middle, but then I realized they are slightly rectangular. They look like the center blocks would finish at 9 x 10 or even 11.

Think very simply from here on out. My suggested sizes with adding just a bit to get some even divisions:

1. You have two rectangles at the top of the purple and the blue. You have the same on the bottom but in green and pink.
Top & bottom rectangles would be (52 divided by 2 = 26) by (72 divided by 8 = 9 times 3 = 27)
2. Then you have two parts that go from one side to the other with 4 parts to each. The center two parts could be 9 inches wide by 10 inches height which is what I will base my calculation on. That means 52 - 20 will be 32 left, which gives you a 16 x 9 inch strip on each side of your center inserts.

Now, let's check my calculations.
1. Width - Top & bottom 26 + 26 = 52
2. Width of Center - 16 + 10 + 10 + 16 = 5
Yay!!! That one worked out.

Now for the length verification:
Top & Bottom rectangles 27 + 27 = 54
Center 4 blocks 2 times 9 = 18
18 + 54= 72
Now add a few more inches to my measurements for your shrinkage. And thanks for making my brain work a little today. Sorry for the wiggly lines. I don't have a real mouse and my finger doesn't draw straight lines.

Edited to add: working with EQ has taught me that I have to have a sewable block. So every time I look at a problem, I decided how I am going to sew, and the rest seems to just fall into place and make sense.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-back-center-blocks.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-01-2020 at 03:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-31-2020, 02:32 PM

And now everyone knows why my kids always told me I couldn't be a teacher. Momma, I don't understand a thing you just said! Sorry my explanation was so long.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:36 PM

Barb,

Thank you so much! I'm going to look at your numbers and work on this tomorrow! I also want to add a label somewhere but I'll probably add it after it's quilted rather than piecing it into the back before quilting. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you again,

Sande
Old 05-31-2020, 05:26 PM

I don't even add labels. haha I keep saying I am going to do it, but just haven't gotten started. You have an excellent space up in the center blocks, if you want to add a large one. Most people don't want one there because it will get quilted on.

Most folks add a label after quilting has been done. They put it down in one corner so that the binding catches it on two sides and they hand sew the other two sides down. Some people even put extra fabric behind the label, just in case repairs are ever needed.

Edited to add: I would consider adding a sleeve so that this could be hung on a focus wall. I will bet that they will want to look at it for a while before or if they ever use it.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 PM

Sande--be aware that your Long Armer will not be able to center this if the top 1/2 is exact same size as the bottom half (think about rolling up a magazine and what happens to the back as you roll it) so you'll want to add extra to the top so LA is able to roll it more evenly.