Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Piecing the back

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    I use the Flynn method with the diagonally pieced back when I am using only one material for the backing. It really looks nice.

When I use different materials I just do a pieceworked backing. I just play around with various rectangles and squares and such til I like what I see. I have used graph paper or EQ6 very rarely as it just seems to flow and work.

Quilt and fabric designer Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Co. pieces many of her backs and usually has an area with a printed verse or such strategically placed on the back. Her backs are as beautiful as her quilt tops!

ali
    When you use this method, have you had any issues with quilting it, such as stretch where you didn't want it?

Agree with ckcowl! Horizontal for a long armer.

The ones I did with the horizontal backing quilted just fine. Of course I iron the tops and pieced backs before quilting them.

ali

I don't think it makes any difference at all. I have done both ways, and usually use the wof cut to width plus two inches. easy

I tried the diagonal pieced back once-must have done it wrong and had to piece it more. good thing I was keeping it and not giving it away. i have pieced both horizontally and vertically and also use the tube method(just recently) JMHO, if I was using the backing fabric pictured, i would math the design and it wouldn't really matter where the seam was.

Why not piece your back by inserting leftover blocks or coordinating fabric from the front? I rarely do a single-fabric back any more, the back presents another opportunity to create something artistic!

HI, this has nothing to do with your post - just wanted to tell you I love the picture (avatar? I don't have the lingo yet) of your dog. He/she looks just like my Max - even down to his favorite red collar! My got ill and died in June - I had him over 18 years and still miss him. But your "Max" briings a smile to my face and good memories to mind. Thank you.

This can't help you with piecing, but just an FYI.
    Our JoAnn's carries about 10 - 12 different backing fabrics in 110" and 112".
    It is $10 to $12 a yard and with my 40% off coupon I find it way cheaper than buying the cotton fabric, and this fabric has a nice weight to it.
    Karen

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karensue
    It is $10 to $12 a yard and with my 40% off coupon I find it way cheaper than buying the cotton fabric, and this fabric has a nice weight to it.
    Karen
    Thanks I will keep that in mind for my next project !

Quote Originally Posted by jmcdowell
    HI, this has nothing to do with your post - just wanted to tell you I love the picture (avatar? I don't have the lingo yet) of your dog. He/she looks just like my Max - even down to his favorite red collar! My got ill and died in June - I had him over 18 years and still miss him. But your "Max" briings a smile to my face and good memories to mind. Thank you.
    So sorry for the loss of your Max. I can tell that he was dearly loved. My boy is Max too! He's a rescue that we've had for 2 years and he's now 3 years old. Such a spoiled baby too. I'm glad he made you smile.

Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    Quote Originally Posted by karensue
    Karen
    Thanks I will keep that in mind for my next project !
    Me too! I never noticed that when I've been in JoAnns.

I decided to go with WOF down the back and equal amounts on each side. Mind you this is my first quilting attempt. I used basting spray (tailor's) and not having a good result. The fabric has shifted and puckered and I've ripped out as much as I've sewn. I know I used enough spray since the can is supposed to be enough for 3 queen size quilts. I've only used it on this one and it's almost empty. I will keep at it until I'm happy with my quilt. I just see it as a learning process.

I didn't know JoAnn's had the fabric that wide either - found it by accident over by the muslim fabric - and there were so many bolts that it was on 2 shelves - don't know how I always missed it.
    And like I said by the time I used my 40% coupon it was only $6.00 for the 110 inch, and it is a nicer weight than the cotton fabric.
    Works for me - I'm always looking for a bargain.
    Karen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    I decided to go with WOF down the back and equal amounts on each side. Mind you this is my first quilting attempt. I used basting spray (tailor's) and not having a good result. The fabric has shifted and puckered and I've ripped out as much as I've sewn. I know I used enough spray since the can is supposed to be enough for 3 queen size quilts. I've only used it on this one and it's almost empty. I will keep at it until I'm happy with my quilt. I just see it as a learning process.
    Was your fabric prewashed? I use the June Tailor brand and find it sticks better if I've prewashed the fabric. I don't use softner when I wash fabric either. Maybe if you didn't wash it, the chemicals in the fabric are preventing the spray from adhering? I generally have good results. I spray in a grid about every 6"-8" or so.

Power Poster
    I really don't mind a sea in the middle but the John Flynn method is interesting

Power Poster
    I really don't mind a seam in the middle but the John Flynn method is interesting

I generally get fabric that is wider than the top and use that for backing. It is cheaper by at least $10 per metre, and the more expensive material is saved for another top.

What is WOF, please?

Quote Originally Posted by ktmo815
    What is WOF, please?
    WOF = width of fabric (typically 45 inches)

Thank you

I try to save some of the fabric(s) from the top to incorporate into the back - usually as strips. It makes the back more interesting and often times turns out like another quilt. I agree with everyone - great fabric for backing.

I too agree with ckcowl and prairie queen. However if your long armer has a 12' frame she can load it either top to bottom or side to side whichever way accomodates the seam.

I considered putting some of the fabric from the front on the back, but finally decided to keep the back all one fabric. It's will still be reversible and I love the fabric! Thanks for all the input. I have learned so much from this board. You are all awesome!

Do it the way u think best. Love the fabric,very pretty.

Blog Entries
    You might want to watch this video, I think it's great for sandwiching the quilt. I had never thought of doing this, like Sharon does. I have always taped and pinned. Since this is your first quilt so to speak, you might want to start out using this method to save problems later down the road on others. Gerbie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast