Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing batting >

Piecing batting

Piecing batting

Old 09-05-2011, 05:41 AM

I don't piece batting for the large quilts. For smaller projects I do by using strips of fusible interfacing for knits or lightweight fusible interfacing strips. Both I have on hand and I cut as needed with my rotary cutter.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 AM

Exactly -- all the answers are correct. Actually, in this case, the batting LOOKED flat....but I don't have room to lay a king size batting out to see if it's totally flat. I hesitate to lay batting on the floor -- we live in the country and have 2 cats........ugh!!! So, I'm buying batting by the roll and will not let anyone provide batting again! And yes, that tape is a Godsend!!! That's what I used to fix this problem!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Ok ladies, tell me I'am wrong, I piece batting and do my own quilting never had a problem. I lay the batting next together, like their kissing and long zig-zag stitch. Never overlap the batting. Barb
Old 09-05-2011, 11:24 AM

I piece my batting, too and have never had that problem. So, what made it do what it did? Sorry, but hard to see from the picture. I see it's ruffly and wonky...

I also butt the pieces together and zig zag. Currently working on a king and had to piece it in a couple places
Old 09-05-2011, 02:22 PM

I don't know what went wrong. He had butted and zigged zagged it, too. I have another of his and I took it out, laid it on the floor and it's wonky, too. I think he's probably stretching it rather than gently butting it. Maybe it's the fact that king size causes you to let it drape and drag down too much when sewing. I'm just saying, please be really careful...........

117becca --- I don't know what's hard to see --- the rest of the quilt (the head of it) is all quilted -- this is what is was like at the foot end. When i tried rolling it on the rollers -- to go to the next section -- I got all kinds of rolls in the batting -- unacceptable to quilt it with that.