Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
piecing a border >

piecing a border

piecing a border

Old 08-23-2017, 05:17 AM

Default piecing a border

i need to piece borders for top and bottom, the sides are already sewn on, and top n bottom measure 57 1/2inches what size do i need to cut the strips so i get the seams centered on the quilt using a 1/4 inch seam according to my math i need to cut each srtip 29 inches and sew a 1/4 inch i'm confuse between adding 1/4 in. or 1/2 in.thanks my quilting skills are getting better, but does the math get any easier lol! i have 4 strips 44 inch each. thanks have a good day
Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 AM

I struggle with the math part of piecing sometimes too. No worries!

Top & bottom measure 57 1/2 wide? Is that correct?

Are you putting the seam in the center of the Top & Bottom border?

I would simply do the seam piecing first. Then measure out from center seam line 28 3/4 inches each way. That will give you a final width of 57 1/2 inches. It does look like your math is correct. Hopefully, others will confirm it too.

Pin each each end and the center together with quilt. Then add more pins. I typically pin the borders about every 5-6 inches which help prevent those wavy borders. Another tip is to stay stitch right inside of the 1/4 inch seam line of each piece and then press. It's another method that helps prevent wavy borders. It really only adds about 5-10 minutes to the work of putting the quilt together but gives me better results.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I have trouble with that stuff, so I just make sure it is fairly long and then pin the seam to the quilt top where I want it.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:00 AM

Just piece two strips together, iron, and cut to size (57 1/2 or average of both ends if different), its that simple. I always find the center point and quarter points on both the quilt and the borders, pin and sew. I don't really think you need to put the seam in the middle. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
Just piece two strips together, iron, and cut to size (57 1/2 or average of both ends if different), its that simple. I always find the center point and quarter points on both the quilt and the borders, pin and sew. I don't really think you need to put the seam in the middle. Good luck!
I never put the seams in the middle. In fact I try my best to not have them directly across from one another. Just my quirky way of doing things.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

If you want the seam in the middle. Sew two strips together, pin the seam to quilt center mark, measure out to each side, divide in half between center pin and quilt edge, same on each top and bottom. After you sew border on, cut ends of border even with quilt edge.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 AM

If you have difficulty with the math, simply sew two 44" strips together. Place your center seam directly in the center and pin out to the edge. After sewing it on, trim the ends. This will leave you with 4 smaller pieces, but, much less stress at trying to figure it out.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 AM

I am curious, since this is a quilt, made up of many smaller pieces sewn together, why would it be important to have that seam in the center? I would use a 44" piece, attach the next 44" piece and cut to the size I want, seam falls where it falls. I might flip the bottom so they weren't lined up, but I haven't ever thought about centering. Should I?
Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
I am curious, since this is a quilt, made up of many smaller pieces sewn together, why would it be important to have that seam in the center? I would use a 44" piece, attach the next 44" piece and cut to the size I want, seam falls where it falls. I might flip the bottom so they weren't lined up, but I haven't ever thought about centering. Should I?
This is how I do it also, in fact, I take pains to keep it from falling in the center. I also make sure I flip opposite sides so the short pieces are not across from each other. Should we be thinking about centering?
Old 08-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

seams are not meant to be the attraction, so not in the center is best. I too place the top seamed border near one corner, then the bottom border seam to the opposite. same with side borders if they had to be seamed to fit.
as far as how long, cut pieces, seam together,then fold and cut as mentioned above to half the length required. then pin the edges, center and centers again in between. Have fun.