Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Piecing question

BMP
    Blog Entries

Question Piecing question

When you are piecing a quilt that has all the same block do you:

1~piece an entire block and move to the next block or
    2~ piece one step on all the blocks then go onto the next step for each block ???

I am doing a quilt that has 60 blocks and was just wondering how everyone does theirs !

Blog Entries
    I like to do one step on half of the blocks. Then finish those blocks and repeat the step on the final half. That way I don't get bored.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    I do it it in chunks too 1/2 or a 1/3 of the blocks chain pieced and then finished, at least you get a sneak peak at what it will look like
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

I like to make 5-10 blocks at a time--chain piecing--that way you can see what it is going to look like. It keeps me from getting bored. It seems to go faster that way.
    Sue

Banned
    I do them in units and might not have an entire block finished for some time

Blog Entries
    I like to do one block and have it as a reference. After that, I do chain piece in groups of 5 or 10. When I have lots of blocks, it is much easier to tackle it in small chunks.
    Quilting is fine, but
    Finishing is divine.
    http://quiltinbee.blogspot.com/

I do one whole block to make sure I know how it is going to turn out. If I make a mistake all I have to do is fix one block and not a dozen. Once I finish the first block I will do a dozen at a time and chain stitch each step.

I also like to make a whole block as a reference and then do them in groups. There's something about seeing your quilt go from one block to a whole row to a third, to almost done. Boredom has birthed many a UFO.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I tend to do one block at a time and even often cut as i go...no wonder I`m such a slow quilter lol

2~ piece one step on all the blocks then go onto the next step for each block ???

I am doing a quilt that has 60 blocks and was just wondering how everyone does theirs ![/QUOTE]

But I highly recommend doing 1 or two complete blocks before commiting to 60.
    Anna Quilts

I usually break the blocks down to 10-12 blocks and piece them as a group. Piecing the entire blocks, then do the next group. This seems to get through a large number of blocks easiest for me. Be sure to square up as you piece the blocks. Making this many blocks they realllyyyyy need to be squared up.

Quote Originally Posted by bettyboop32953 View Post
    I like to do one block and have it as a reference. After that, I do chain piece in groups of 5 or 10. When I have lots of blocks, it is much easier to tackle it in small chunks.
    I sort of do that, too. I make one entire test block first (out of different fabrics and before cutting the fabric for the actual quilt) to make sure the measurements are correct and that I actually like the looks of the finished block. Once that's all set, I chain piece 10-15 blocks at a time until they're all finished.

My test blocks are all done with coordinating fabrics and they wind up in a sampler quilt...then I change the color palette for the next batch of test blocks.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Like some of the others .... I will do the first block to make sure it all comes together OK. And too, to make sure I really like it IRL before I cut all the yardage. Or perish the thought, that the pattern should have an error, again, caught without wastage!

Then I'd go ahead and assembly line sew in smaller groups, not the full 60 all at once!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Power Poster
    I like to do a couple of blocks completely to make sure they are the correct size and colour placement. If the blocks are going to have sashing the colour placement doesn't matter as much. Sometimes if it's a repeated block, I like to see how the colours/pattern will look as they are put together. If there is no sashing, I will sometimes change the colours so they are not blending the blocks and other times I like the secondary design of the blocks blending. After I have all the bugs worked out, I will chain piece them a row at a time.

When all the blocks are fairly simple and all the same I tend to do one step on all the blocks before going to the next step. I get more of a sense of accomplishment than completing one block at a time.

I do one or two whole blocks to get the feel of it and then chain piece all the blocks step by step, with an ironing session after each seam if required. Then, suddenly, when you look up, you have 60 wonderful blocks in no time. Of course, you miss out on the joy of admiring your handiwork after completing each block and adding it to the dispay board. I guwess it depends on how much time you have. In my case it always seems to be less than no time.

Blog Entries
    I piece one step on all the blocks then go onto the next step for each block.

I chain piece and take many mini breaks. Usually when laundry needs to be tended to or the music station needs to be changed. I also make a few extra blocks. That way I can make a pillowcase out any surplus that doesn't fit in the quilt.
    Go forth and sew!

Blog Entries
    It depends on my mood and on how complicated the block is. If it's a new block, I often make a tester block just to verify the design and cutting instructions. Does it have matching points? Does it require a scant vs. regular seam allowance? etc. Then I like to break the project into the individual steps. Cutting all the bits and stacking them in order. Sewing all the pieces one step at a time. For very complicated blocks, I usually work them start to finish on each block. I have gotten things turned around in strip-piecing so I am now more careful.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

[QUOTE=susie-susie-susie;5061596]I like to make 5-10 blocks at a time--chain piecing--that way you can see what it is going to look like. It keeps me from getting bored. It seems to go faster that way.
    Sue[/QUOTE

I'm with you!
    Mary

Like so many others who have posted, I like to do one prototype block first, just to ensure pattern is ok and my color placement is good and have a model. Then I like to do chunks of blocks so I can avoid boredom and give myself inspiration to continue as I start to see the quilt come together with several blocks completed and laid out.

When do many identical blocks, I will do one block till completed so I understand all the instructions....way easier than doing all 60 blocks and find out they were all wrong! When I have the first block done to a point that I am satisfied, then I will chain stitch all 60 blocks, step by step

Blog Entries
    I like to make my quilts one block at a time because If I made a mistake in cutting or color choice it shows up in the first few blocks and I can then make adjustments with out having cut a whole quilt wrong or used wrong colors.

Sometimes it helps me decide if I actually like making the block. By doing them one at a time there is less time spent on discovering all these things and alows me to enjoy the quilt making as it grows row by row.
    peace.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

me too............. but sometimes on a complicated block it is easy to get a piece in wrong that is when i do all them at one time making sure each piece is correct then doing all of them then move on to the next piece

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    It depends on my mood and on how complicated the block is. If it's a new block, I often make a tester block just to verify the design and cutting instructions. Does it have matching points? Does it require a scant vs. regular seam allowance? etc. Then I like to break the project into the individual steps. Cutting all the bits and stacking them in order. Sewing all the pieces one step at a time. For very complicated blocks, I usually work them start to finish on each block. I have gotten things turned around in strip-piecing so I am now more careful.

Blog Entries
    It depends on the complexity of the block. The harder the block the more likely I am to do one at a time.

I do the second one all the way through all the blocks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast