Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing and Quilting Myths >

Piecing and Quilting Myths

Piecing and Quilting Myths

Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 AM

"If you blow air into your bobbin case then you'll never know where the lint will go to and it can ruin your machine."

I'm not so sure about that. I know that with older machines that just isn't true. The basic sewing machine is pretty simple. All you have to do is open up the bottom tray of the machine and there they sit at the bottom, all of those little dust bunnies, patiently waiting to be released. Even if they did get "brave" and mingle with the machine parts, it's a dust bunny against a big, tempered, steel rod...no contest.

Now, I can't vouch for the newer, fancy machines. Maybe the dust might affect the computer workings...I dunno.

~C
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post
I may be totally off, but I suspect the separation of paper and fabric scissors was a way to keep other members of the household from stealing your scissors.
Yes! That's exactly why that rumor persists and it's for a good reason. SHHHH...don't tell your family members it's just a myth. Let them believe and live in fear if they ever mess with your scissors.

~C
Old 09-06-2017, 02:17 PM

You can't use bedsheets as quilting fabric as the weave is too tight. I use them all the time with no issues. I just don't reach for 1200 count Egyptian cotton ones.

The large spools of serger thread are a weaker cheap thread and can't be used for quilting or general sewing as they'll break more easily. I've tested mine by sewing a scrap piece of fabric and tried to pull it apart...and tried, and tried.... and I also tried to melt the darn stuff while ironing it. Actually held my iron in place for about 20 to 30 seconds (which I would never normally do) and it held beautifully so I definitely use polyester serging thread to piece and quilt.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Wouldn't our grandmothers (and more generations before that) be surprised about the first one??
I am still trying to find a way to get the second side to look good after machine stitching but I know it can be done.
I feel that my dog is a very valued member of my family and I hope he find comfort sleeping on a quilt I made.
Bad people are those that expect a reaction of any kind for any gift they give. I want the people that I care enough about to be honest with me. If the colors are not right or if it is the wrong size, I want to be told so I can make them what they will love and find another home for the one that was just not right.
What, pre-cuts are not perfect? Tell me it is not so!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Yes! That's exactly why that rumor persists and it's for a good reason. SHHHH...don't tell your family members it's just a myth. Let them believe and live in fear if they ever mess with your scissors.

~C
Also, early paper was made of less refined wood pulp, so bits of grit were not uncommon, so back then you would not want your "good" scissors used instead of the home "shears" that were used on sheep, horses, skins, etc.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:08 AM

You must wash all fabrics that you are using in a quilt.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Love Eleanor Burns and her patterns and enjoy the organization of her instructions which make every action productive but, "Quilt-in-a-day" (?). I had a weekend off and decided to make her Log Cabin .... my first quilt.....it took me two days and that was tieing, not quilting and tearing the strips, not cutting as per the original pattern and it was queen sized and only took time to eat and sleep. So, "Quilt-in-a-day"...no, maybe "Piece-in-a-day "...yes
Good to know I just ordered both her log cabin and quick trip books, but I was dubious about the "quilt-in-a-day" part!
Old 09-11-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Good to know I just ordered both her log cabin and quick trip books, but I was dubious about the "quilt-in-a-day" part!
Unless you have the same support staff she does, it might just take you a little longer. That is my story, and I am sticking to it. Lol.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM

This is good. Wish this was around when I first started quilting.
I bought into the only hand quilted quilts are true quilts. I was so naive.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KatFish View Post
You must wash all fabrics that you are using in a quilt.
I do - I am basically a no-fuss person - minimizes the chances for a lot of "fuss and bother" later.