Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Piecing and Quilting

After reading the comments on machines, why would you need a different machine for piecing and for quilting? Thanks for the comments.

I use one machine for the piecing and then keep the walking foot on the other machine... easier than switching them out all the time

Quote Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    I use one machine for the piecing and then keep the walking foot on the other machine... easier than switching them out all the time
    Yes, me too!

Blog Entries
    The 301 has a 1/4" guide screwed on. It's easier to use the Necchi for sewing HSTs without the guide in the way, so I am using two machines for piecing. The 301 FMQs easily, so that's her job no matter what machine pieces. These are both straight stitch machines, no zigzag, which I perfer for piecing. The Elna sits ready to do any regular sewing or any ZZ or fancy stitching.

If you have more than one machine, why not use whichever is best for a particular task? If you get more precision piecing on inexmachine, but another has a bigger harp for quilting, why not?

I do because my original machine can handle quilting, but it has a small harp area ... So second was purchased for harp space. If I had started out with the second machine I would probably only have one. So now I keep them both set up for different purposes and keep them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Yes, me too!
    Me three! I hate having to change the foot so this makes a easy, less stressful transition.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Yes, me too!
    Ditto and Ditto - me too, smile.

Blog Entries
    my quilting machine with the larger throat is on a frame. for piecing, i don't need a large throat space, so my DSM works for that. if someone said that i could only have one machine, i'd be hard-pressed to part with either.

Why do we need two or more machines. Why do men need more than one wrench???

Blog Entries
    This is the ideal set up! When I was making "Brooks and Dunn"/"Garth Brooks" western style shirts for my son I had one color thread on one machine and the second on the other, it saved a lot of time in changing threads.

Blog Entries
    Can you not do piecing with the walking foot on? I never take mine off!

For convenience. Keep the computerized Brother set up for quilting so I don't have to reset everything - I just have to change out the foot. Older Singer is for piecing and garment sewing/mending.

I don't have room for two. So, I use my Hq/V for everything. I have never felt the need to use a walking foot. It only takes but about 30 seconds to change the feet anyhow. To each his/her own I guess. If you need more than one machine, then by all means use them, and if you are more comfortable using a walking foot, then please do. :-)