Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Piecing stitch >
  • Piecing stitch

• Piecing stitch

Old 10-20-2017, 04:01 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ
    I chain stitch when I piece and leave about 1/4” between pieces. When I cut them apart, I do not cut at the piece but so that there is a tail of a few stitches beyond. I feel this would be less likely to come apart. I also use a smaller stitch, like a 2 to 2.1 on my machines.
    I also "air-stitch" between the units and leave a bit of a tail on the threads.

When I have to "un-do" - I usually remove the minimum number of stitches - I usually press to the side, so when I resew, this is what I usually do: (see illustration)

It does not look "pretty" from the back - but I avoid the wadding or puckering that backstitching sometimes causes by doing it this way.
    Attached Thumbnails seam.jpg  
    Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 AM

After reading your reply I checked my machine and you are right. There is one dot above my piecing stitch icon. I had always thought that when I tried to backstitch when using my piecing stitch that it really wasn't doing anything...The needle would go up and down but I didn't think any thread was being used. I couldn't see any extra stitches in the seam. Then after reading your reply I looked closer using a magnifying glass. Now I can see tiny stitches wherever I had hit the backstitch button! Thanks so much!
    Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    Look again at your piecing stitch picture on your machine. If it has 2 dots above it, it means you will sew in reverse when you hit the reverse / reinforcement button.

If it has just 1 dot above , it means you will only stitch a lock stitch when you hit the reverse/reinforcement button.

I don't see any straight stitch pictures with no dots above them.

Note that the reverse/reinforcement button is different than the start/stop button. Are you maybe forgetting to choose this when beginning to stitch?
    Old 10-20-2017, 06:25 AM

I agree, I do that too. But I'm referring to seams that aren't going to be sewn across, like in the middle of a seam sewing two rows of blocks or patches together.
    Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I don't back stitch since I'll be sewing across all the seams. I do use a shorter stitch length.
    Old 10-20-2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq
    After reading your reply I checked my machine and you are right. There is one dot above my piecing stitch icon. I had always thought that when I tried to backstitch when using my piecing stitch that it really wasn't doing anything...The needle would go up and down but I didn't think any thread was being used. I couldn't see any extra stitches in the seam. Then after reading your reply I looked closer using a magnifying glass. Now I can see tiny stitches wherever I had hit the backstitch button! Thanks so much!
    You are so welcome! That is a pretty fancy machine you have there. (I'm still using an old featherweight). It has the best owners manual I've ever seen (those from a foreign country---Japan, Swiss, Germany often leave a lot to be desired). But yours reads more like a sewing manual.. For example it shows how to make a dart, a felled seam, etc. Who would expect that in an owners manual? I saw an attachment to a foot that cuts/trims the seam while you sew....fancy, fancy. Give that Baby a hug, and happy stitching that perfect 1/4" seam (with no wadding bunched at the ends). Jane Q
    Old 10-20-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter
    You are so welcome! That is a pretty fancy machine you have there. (I'm still using an old featherweight). It has the best owners manual I've ever seen (those from a foreign country---Japan, Swiss, Germany often leave a lot to be desired). But yours reads more like a sewing manual.. For example it shows how to make a dart, a felled seam, etc. Who would expect that in an owners manual? I saw an attachment to a foot that cuts/trims the seam while you sew....fancy, fancy. Give that Baby a hug, and happy stitching that perfect 1/4" seam (with no wadding bunched at the ends). Jane Q
    I love my Babylock. I bought it 10 years ago using life insurance money I received when my husband died. I had wanted a fancy sewing and embroidery machine for a long time but couldn't afford it. Using my machine for embroidery and sewing quilts was what got me through the grieving process. I was still working up until two years ago when I retired, so up until then I didn't have much time, but now I am discovering things about my machine that makes me appreciate it even more! I do need to read my manual more, but have learned so much from the members of this board!
    Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I don't back stitch since I'll be sewing across all the seams. I do use a shorter stitch length.
    Me too and its never an issue with a tighter stitch
    Old 10-21-2017, 05:46 AM

Janjanq, glad you learned something new about your BabyLock...this reminds me of a recent thread where quilter’s have shared their ah-ha moments about their machines. Happy piecing. : )