Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pillow case type quilt >

Pillow case type quilt

Pillow case type quilt

Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Does anyone make pillowcase type quilts? I have been thinking about finishing two of my quilt tops in that style for my two great-granddaughters - both babies. The quilt tops are made of 100% cotton and I would like to back them with coordinating flannel. I'm wondering how the quilting would look around the edges if I don't use binding. Any input will be greatly appreciated. I have so many projects to complete before May, that I am afraid to do it and then have to start over. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:51 PM

in my experience, it is hard to quilt after they have been turned. The fabric seems to pucker, even with a walking foot. I've found it is better to tie and quilts that I pillowcase turn.
Hope this helps

Pat
Old 12-30-2010, 06:53 PM

I have had good luck pillow casing small quilts they look fine without a binding. And I used flannel one one of them. I just top stitched when I was done quilting
Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

I have done a twin like that. (for DGD). It turned out great.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 PM

I do this to most of my quilts. They look more like a comforter when done. Right now I am machine sewing the batting and top together. Then I will finish with the backing, pillowcase style and finish off by tieing. My quilts are mostly lap or twin size.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:37 PM

My cousin had a large commissioned wallhanging to do with premade antique squares done by the grandmother (after we figured out how best to piece these shakey squares together...
She later called me and told me this is what she did (pillowcase technique) instead of binding it...She then used low loft cotton batting, tossed it in the dryer which gave it that old fashioned puckered look.... It turned out gorgeous

EDIT: Forgot to mention that she also borderd the back in one color and surrounding each block, doing the same to the front...So it looks like a different colored framing border both front and back...
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 PM

I've been doing this, too. My first attempts at binding were less than successful so until I get more comfortable at that it's pillowcases for me! The largest has been a large twin (bedspread size rather than quilt/dust ruffle) but did a combination of tying and machine quilting on that one. I pin, pin, pin the dickens out of them before I machine quilt. I also do the borders - starting with a seam 1/4 inch from the edge - before the center of the quilt. Any little puckers then end up in less noticeable areas. I don't want to do them this way forever, but for now - this gets them DONE!