Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pillowcase method - anyone machine quilted directly onto the batting? >

Pillowcase method - anyone machine quilted directly onto the batting?

Pillowcase method - anyone machine quilted directly onto the batting?

Old 08-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Default Pillowcase method - anyone machine quilted directly onto the batting?

Hi everyone

I've got to make several MQed queen quilts using the birthing/pillowcase method, and because it seems likely to be harder to smoothe the layers when pinning, I was considering quilting the top and batting only. I'd then add the back, turn inside out and oversew a little of the quilting to 'tie' the back in. It's straight line stitching mainly, and generally over 2" apart.

I'd be so interested to hear from anyone who has done this or anything like it. Someone mentioned doing it ages ago but I can't find the post now!

I'm worried that sewing directly on the cotton batting for so long might mess with my lovely Janome 8200 - and also that the overall result will look a bit deflated from the top without the back part of the sandwich and possibly a bit weird from the bottom too.

Alternatively, does anyone have tips for MQ-ing a large inside-out quilt? Hard to avoid wrinkles when you can't clamp and smoothe the back, then smoothe out the batting and top while the back stays put!

All ideas and suggestions very welcome, and thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:15 PM

When I have quilted large quilts on my machine, there has been alot of "fabric creep" to the outer edge. I recommending quilting the usual way and then facing the quilt so the binding isn't showing on the front. The same look as pillowcase with the edge but easier to keep from wrinkling.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

There are no quilt police here, you can use whatever method you like. I am never happy pillowcasing and then quilting but quilting and then pillowcasing may work. Queen size sounds daunting on a home machine but remember you will only have 1/2 of the quilt in the machine harp at a time.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:07 PM

Thanks both! *Toverly* - facing would definitely be easier and give a very similar clean look, but I'm trying to avoid any handsewing and I can't machine the facing from the back and have them show on the front. Unless there's another way?
Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebat View Post
Thanks both! *Toverly* - facing would definitely be easier and give a very similar clean look, but I'm trying to avoid any handsewing and I can't machine the facing from the back and have them show on the front. Unless there's another way?
you could face to the same depth as a border on the front. then SITD on that border making sure to catch the facing in the seam? not my favorite, but I have done it successfully a couple of times.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Alas - no border on the front - they're large picture quilts. But thank you QuiltnNan.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I've quilted the top and batting and used Heirloom 80/20 batting. it is a nice flat batting. never bothered my needle or machine that I could see. I don't remember why I did that though.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:29 PM

I fmq just the quilt top and batting for quilt as you go. The blocks are 12.5 inch square so not the same as a queen but it shouldn’t be that different. It works very well. I’m guessing that if you’re straight line stitching and not moving the quilt back and forth for free motioning that it would work. I used warm and natural batting.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:18 AM

Oh brilliant - that's given me confidence. Testing now!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:51 AM

It will be interesting how this works out in the long run. Quilting is to hold the batting securely and if it's only held to the top, will the batt wear against the backing? Cotton tends to not hold up as well as poly or a spun "fabric" so will it shred in use? Interesting experiment but doing several of this size--wow!! Why not just tie them and not bother with the quilting process?