Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pillowcase to store your quilt? >

Pillowcase to store your quilt?

Pillowcase to store your quilt?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Thanks Michael, I love Missouri quilt co's videos, Jenny makes it so much easier.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 AM

Why is it better to store a quilt in a fabric pillowcase? Why are they not supposed to be folded? I have a hand sewn, hand quilted signature quilt made in the 1920's that has always been folded when not on a bed ( folded on a shelf probably the since 1950) that doesn't seem to have any damage. I'm keeping it in a plastic tote now since we get the occasional mouse in from the fields.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Why is it better to store a quilt in a fabric pillowcase? Why are they not supposed to be folded? I have a hand sewn, hand quilted signature quilt made in the 1920's that has always been folded when not on a bed ( folded on a shelf probably the since 1950) that doesn't seem to have any damage. I'm keeping it in a plastic tote now since we get the occasional mouse in from the fields.
I don't really know, but I had heard that storing quilts in plastic prevents the fabric from "breathing" & is not good for it???? Perhaps there is a chance the plastic could cause moisture to build up???? :cry:

Anyone else ever hear this????
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Good Afternoon All,

At a recent retreat I was told I should always get extra fabric and make a pillowcase to store my new quilt in. So when giving it as a gift, have a card with the instructions for how to wash it and then indicate it should be rolled and put back in the pillowcase, etc....

So I was out looking for a tutorial on HOW to machine a pillowcase and found this tutorial from the Missouri Star Quilt Company on Youtube....and all I can say is.......IT'S GENUS....COMPLETELY GENUS! :)

I was kind intimidated because I have only ever made quilt tops, no other sewing under my belt, and the thought of hems and things scare me. This COMPLETELY my seed. You only have to sew along 3 lines and you get a gorgeous pillowcase!!!

I know I know....you are thinking I'm posting too many videos as of late. Sorry about that, but I thought this is a great watch for people who wanted to make a pillowcase, but thought it would be difficult to attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/missouriquilt...51/MrYWCma9wgM

~Michael
THANK YOU THAT IS SEW NEAT AND EASY BESIDES PRETTY.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM

Great video as usual from Missouri Star Quilt Co. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM

I have been making them from left over fabrics to match my quilt top and when I store my quilts I don't have to go through all the quilts looking for a particular one. I know by the pillow case what quilt is in it. Also have a decorative pillow to use on the bed when I use that quilt.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Great! Thanks Michael. Keep posting. I like Missouri Comp. videos. Don't you love all this free stuff on the net?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Thanks, Michael. I have made pillow cases before but didn't know how to hide all the seams. The tube method is great. I will definitely do that next time.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 AM

If you make a quilt larger than a twin, do you make 2 pillowcases?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Originally Posted by miholmes
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
this might be a silly question but if you're supposed to roll the quilt for storage wouldn't you make a tube instead of a rectangle?
LOL....not silly. I'm just going off of what was communicated to me. But they also said you should take them out and refold them every 2 months or so...

I'm not an expert on this one. I was ALSO told to was them in a a specific detergent that you can get from any Farm Supply store, because it really gentle of your quilt...but the name of that eludes me right now.

Hmmm.....this this would be a good thing to talk about and get a tut going for it. :P
I think you are talking about *Orvis* horse shampoo, it is a paste and extremely gentle.
Ooo I think that's EXACTLY it! Thanks!