Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 69

Thread: pin cushion

  1. #1
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    where did you get your pincushion(s). i want something beyond the "tomato" pincushion. Something cool looking. Do they sell nice ones at the quilting shows? I can't find one I want on-line and will likely be going to a large quilt show in September so I hope they have some there. What is your favorite pin cushion?

  2. #2
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,781
    I like my abbey bag with the thread catcher attached It looks like a flower

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    El Paso, Tx
    Posts
    1,099
    My favorite I made myself....I think I saw someone on this board had one. It ties to my machine.

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    I like the ones with the thread catcher and pincushion combined sits by my machine

    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    where did you get your pincushion(s). i want something beyond the "tomato" pincushion. Something cool looking. Do they sell nice ones at the quilting shows? I can't find one I want on-line and will likely be going to a large quilt show in September so I hope they have some there. What is your favorite pin cushion?

  5. #5
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    The thread catcher pincushion is my favorite. It's really easy to make.
    I make Ball mason jar pincushions to sell, these are very easy to make too.
    I don't like the tomato one either.

  6. #6
    klc
    klc is offline
    Senior Member klc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    583
    I like my handmade ones best too. Just search here for photos of pincushions or google and look for patterns or ideas. There are as many different pincushions as sewers. Some of us just can't stop making them! Good luck!

  7. #7
    SallySews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    12
    Blog Entries
    4
    Does anyone have a pattern for the thread catcher / pincushion that they'd be willing to share?

  8. #8
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Google thread catcher pincushion and there are a couple of tuts on them.

  9. #9
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,734
    I found a vintage pin cushion on ebay in the shape of a body sewing form on a metal stand...Love it...
    Also have a Teapot shaped one that also holdx loose safety pins inside...And I just found a vintage stuff lady with a porcelain head made by Avon in 1986 while antiquing...
    If you go on ebay under vintage pincushions you'll find some interesting ones better then new.

  10. #10
    Super Member fayzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Destin, Fl
    Posts
    1,881
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SallySews
    Does anyone have a pattern for the thread catcher / pincushion that they'd be willing to share?
    Try this site: http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/medi...nOrganizer.pdf

  11. #11
    Super Member Gladys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,621
    Here are some great links for pincushions...such a variety and so pretty...

    http://tipnut.com/wrist-pincushions/

    http://tipnut.com/free-teacup-saucer...hion-patterns/
    I love this one.

    http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/07/...n-30-ways.html
    This site has lots of pretty pincushions.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Unique Creations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canon City, CO
    Posts
    567
    I personally like the magnetic ones. I can just pitch the pins and they go right into the bowl!!

  13. #13
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    Great links. I am looking for just a pincushion as I only want to use it for needle turn applique. I have accepted that I can quilt but cannot make anything beyond a quilt. I have tried handbags, animal towels (towels with hoods), that cute simplicity pattern for the "apron" around a mug for storing quilting items (if you had seen the results, you would have died laughing).

    Hence I am looking for one to purchase. I have seen some cute ones. I am going to look at the quilt show to buy one.

  14. #14
    AllStitchedUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Great links. I am looking for just a pincushion as I only want to use it for needle turn applique. I have accepted that I can quilt but cannot make anything beyond a quilt. I have tried handbags, animal towels (towels with hoods), that cute simplicity pattern for the "apron" around a mug for storing quilting items (if you had seen the results, you would have died laughing).

    Hence I am looking for one to purchase. I have seen some cute ones. I am going to look at the quilt show to buy one.
    Great ones right here!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-145582-1.htm

  15. #15
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    I know you can make these. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-131536-1.htm

    I made these and had never made one before.

  16. #16
    Junior Member Annevc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    115
    Make your own. I made this one and will be selling them at a craft fair this Nov.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Super Member SherriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Quilting somewhere......
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by fayzer
    Quote Originally Posted by SallySews
    Does anyone have a pattern for the thread catcher / pincushion that they'd be willing to share?
    Try this site: http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/medi...nOrganizer.pdf
    Thank you for posting that site! I have the exact same fabrics. LOL!

  18. #18
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I know you can make these. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-131536-1.htm

    I made these and had never made one before.
    I actually have the jars but was nervous due to my previous lack of success. I may just try tomorrow...

  19. #19
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I know you can make these. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-131536-1.htm

    I made these and had never made one before.
    I actually have the jars but was nervous due to my previous lack if success. I amy just try tomorrow...
    If you have any questions I will be happy to try and answer them.

  20. #20
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    Thanks!

  21. #21
    Super Member Val in IN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    1,151
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you are really convinced that you can't make one ( I think you're short selling yourself though), Fons and Porter has a cool "flower" shaped one that you can get at Joanns.

  22. #22
    Member fudge and furs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    90
    Actually my favorite cushion I made is not attractive at all but I love it. I covered a 7 x 7 piece of styrafoam (sic) covered it with some batting and I have a great pin cushion always on hand. Especially good for the round tip quilting pins and never gets lost in the mess I make when sewing. I also have one for the regular pins.

  23. #23
    Super Member Deborah12687's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,126
    I make wrist band pin cushions so I can keep track of it. I had a habit of setting every were and spending time finding them.

  24. #24
    Super Member SunlitenSmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,402
    Blog Entries
    2
    ok, how organized is your pincusion......does each type of pin have it's place......do barely used machine needles have a designated spot complete with number(11,14,16)are all the butterflys together, big yellow ball tops together,can you grab the exact pin or needle or big eye sewing needle ( for buring threads ) with hardly a glance. tell me i am not the only one with this obsession. a well organized pin cousion is a great helper

  25. #25
    Super Member SunlitenSmiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,402
    Blog Entries
    2
    my only must have, honest

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.