Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PIN CUSHIONS >

PIN CUSHIONS

PIN CUSHIONS

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Hi you guys
I want to make some pin cushions for Christmas gifts. But being a newbie I have no idea how to start. Has anyone got any good patterns or tutes to share. Thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM

There are several on this board. Go to the top of the screen and click on search, then type in pin cushions and they will come up. Happy hunting...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM

If you go to the search button and type in either pincushion or pin cushion, you'll find the mother load!!! :thumbup:
Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Wow.................. Woopy Thanks guys I have plenty to choose from here. You must think I am a right plonker. I have not fully sorted out this forum yet. But I shall definately remember the search button.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:29 AM

You can make pin cushions that look like darn near anything.
From giant buttons to tea pots to loaves of bread or a favorite car you owned as a teenager, or even one that looks like someone you disliked in high school and want to stick pins in...NO-- that is a joke. Kinda. Or a basketball if you played it, or a sewing machine, or even a pile of fabric that looks like your stash sewed together. Use your imagination, and above all, have fun. Have joy in doing this and make things that make you smile.

Right now I'm making one that looks like a cheeseburger and will glue it on a small, yard sale saucer. I love making mini cheeseburger cookies, and this amuses me. Doesn't take much to amuse a childish mind, and I'm having much more fun in my second childhood than the first one that was so long ago I can't remember much about it, or don't want to.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM

I make simple 4-1/2" squares (4-patch, quarter square triangles, half square triangles), then cut a 2" strip to go around the square and sew the ends together, sew 1 square and a 4-1/2" square of batting to one side of the strip (right sides together with the batting on the wrong side of the square), then sew a 4-1/2" square with a square of batting to the other side of the strip, leaving a gap to turn the whole thing right side out. Fill with crushed walnut shells, whip stitch the gap closed. Sew a button on the top and bottom squares using a long needle and waxed thread (or dental floss) pulling tightly so that you get that "pouffy" look.

I get the crushed walnut shells at a pet store. I find it in the bird supplies. It is abrasive, so will act the same as an emery strawberry and smooth your pins and needles.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I make simple 4-1/2" squares (4-patch, quarter square triangles, half square triangles), then cut a 2" strip to go around the square and sew the ends together, sew 1 square and a 4-1/2" square of batting to one side of the strip (right sides together with the batting on the wrong side of the square), then sew a 4-1/2" square with a square of batting to the other side of the strip, leaving a gap to turn the whole thing right side out. Fill with crushed walnut shells, whip stitch the gap closed. Sew a button on the top and bottom squares using a long needle and waxed thread (or dental floss) pulling tightly so that you get that "pouffy" look.
Does that work for keeping the pim sharp?
I get the crushed walnut shells at a pet store. I find it in the bird supplies. It is abrasive, so will act the same as an emery strawberry and smooth your pins and needles.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM

Does that work for keeping the pins and needles sharp?