Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pin embedded in stippling! Now what?

I have just finished stippling the pieced section of a lap quilt for my sister. As I was folding it for the evening, I found I had somehow embedded a straight pin with a big head between the backing and the batting. I will not unsew 7 hours of work! Do any of you have any ideas what I can do now?

As long as I am on this site, I have one more question. I made a folded half inch border between the outside border and the inner border. How do I deal with it? I didn't plan on stippling when I stitched the folded border in place. Should I stipple it down, leave it loose (making it the only thing not stippled), or what?

Blog Entries
    I had this happen and I was able to pull the pin part out and I left the head in. Probably not the best solution, but it worked at the time.

As Sadiemae suggested work the pin through and snip it with pliers, the head will be embedded but you will get the most dangerous bit out.

It takes some doing, but here's what I did.
    Locate the buried head and using another straight pin, directly over the offending pinhead, separate the "threads
    until you can pop the pin up and out. If it is under the batting, approach from the back side. Patience is what it takes.

You can usually place a piece of fabric over that spot and whack it with a hammer to break the head then remove the pin part.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    It takes some doing, but here's what I did.
    Locate the buried head and using another straight pin, directly over the offending pinhead, separate the "threads
    until you can pop the pin up and out. If it is under the batting, approach from the back side. Patience is what it takes.
    ------------------------------------
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I do that every now and then, which is why I try to use the largest headed pins I can find.

Thank you, I'll try to use the hammer with a piece of fabric. I was concerned about making a hole if I hit the big ball with a hammer, but a piece of fabric should help. I'll try it on a scrap first then let you know what happened. JUDY

Blog Entries
    for your 'folded' border, i'd stitch in the ditch -next to the main one, leaving the folded one unstitched down.

The hammer method left a small hole. I probably hit it too hard. So I tried the "pull the threads apart" method. It was better, but it also took some of the color away. I'll use this any way. When I went to find the first pin, I found three more! What was I doing the day I "sandwiched"? I don't drink. Could it be the 21 inches of snow that day and a free day to quilt? I tried to get too much done with my bonus day.

Thank you for the information! JUDY

Blog Entries
    I made a quilt last year for my nephew and he told me afterwards that they found a few extra pins ...it happens...

Luckily I only had this happen once. What I did was locate the nearest seam and slit a few threads to open it. Cut only the absolutely required stippling stitches between the pin & the seam and wiggle it out through the opening. Then you only have to "touch up" with a little quilting & I just topstitched the seam I had opened, though you could handsew it for a nicer look.

Blog Entries
    I would stipple right up to your "flap" then straight stitch on the border edge along the flap. Quilting down the flap would take away from the "3-D" lok that these flaps produce.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I had this happen and I was able to pull the pin part out and I left the head in. Probably not the best solution, but it worked at the time.
    this is what I did too...the little ball will roam around that quilt forever :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    You can usually place a piece of fabric over that spot and whack it with a hammer to break the head then remove the pin part.
    This is my idea too. I have done it and it works!!! But when you use the hammer, put some batting between the fabric and the hammer head.

Breaking the top off and leaving the ball inside is a good suggestion too!

OMG, I thought I was the only one who did that. I had just finished my first quilt - it was for a baby boy. I gave hand quilting a try, and about half-way through, I felt this little round ball. It was a pin between the batting and the top. I tried working with the head, moving it around, and tried to get it back through the top. I was finally successful but it did make a little hole. I was so flustered, but I just put some liquid stitch around it, and gave it to her anyway.

Blog Entries
    I had the same thing happen twice to me, not on a stippled quilt but both finished. The first one was a needle not a pin but eh second was a pin. I was giving to my DD and future SIL at their wedding shower and my DSI was holding it up for everyone to see and he is the one who found the needle, that came out easy but the pin had to be worked out with needle nose pliers.

Not sure how to remove the pin, however.....If you do have to cut the backing fabric to remove the pin.....

you could mend the hole and place a "quilt label" on that location. Just a thought.

Lately I have used the spray basting product. I really like it - no pins!! It works really well on baby or lap sized quilts. It stays while you quilt and washes out. FYI for the future.

I made a queen size logcabin quilt for my daughter with
    1 1/2 inch strips. She found something hard in between and couldn't figure out what it was. Once I felt it, I knew what it was because I quilted it on my longarm at home.
    It was the sheath to my Ghinger scissors! Why I didn't stitch over it is beyond me.
    The only way to get it out is to cut the fabric open and top stitch it back up like a surgeon.
    Sorry to hear about your pin...hope you get it out.
    Nancy

I like that hammer idea. Ticked off at yourself and you get to take out your frustration while solving the problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccalr
    I like that hammer idea. Ticked off at yourself and you get to take out your frustration while solving the problem!!
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I like this solution,

Quote Originally Posted by emptyshellamy
    Luckily I only had this happen once. What I did was locate the nearest seam and slit a few threads to open it. Cut only the absolutely required stippling stitches between the pin & the seam and wiggle it out through the opening. Then you only have to "touch up" with a little quilting & I just topstitched the seam I had opened, though you could handsew it for a nicer look.
    This is what I have done too, works great.

Ditto on suggestions on removing the pin. I wouldn't stitch down the folded border, it's suppose to add some 3D to your quilt.

I also would not stitch down the folded border as it will then look just like a strip sewn in. Let it flap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast