Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinch Test? >

Pinch Test?

Pinch Test?

Old 09-27-2018, 05:55 AM

Default Pinch Test?

I am trying to set up some materials for a class. The directions say to tape the backing to a table and then perform the "pinch test" in both directions. (This is before I add the batting and top). Checked the archives and come up with nothing. I can e mail the teacher but thought someone out there might know the answer off the top of your knowledgeable heads.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:12 AM

No clue!! If you find out what that means ... and why... please let us know.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:17 AM

It sounds like it's just a test to see if your backing is taunt enough. You want it taunt but no so much that the backing is stretched out of shape. The time you take on this process could mean the difference between puckers in your backing when you are quilting or a smooth back to your quilt. I've also heard that if you drop a dime on the backing after you have it taped down & the coin bounces up then it's taunt enough.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:01 AM

That makes sense. I have to stitch in the ditch before I go tomorrow so I won't be able to undo it if it's too loose or too taut.
I usually don't tape down so this is new to me. I have a large table I use so it usually works out fine since I've only done lap and baby quilts. I'll try the dime trick and see how it goes! Couldn't find anything on the Net about this either!
Old 09-27-2018, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

My theory is that the backing should be no more "taut" than the top - because if it is pulled too tight - then when the tension is taken off, it will pucker up.

When I lay backing on my table, I "weight" the sides that hang over with metal yardsticks - I make a temporary "tube/pocket" to hold the yardsticks and that creates enough "tension" to minimize wrinkles on the backing. I do tape the edges that are on the table - but I "smooth" - I do not "pull" the fabric.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

i tape it so there are no soft 'wrinkles' but am careful not to stretch it for the reasons above. i've never heard of the pinch test either
Old 09-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I clamp my backing to my glass topped dining table. I make sure it is smooth and not pulled. Same as my batting and top. I smooth all the layers using a light hand. My method works very well for me.

Not heard of the pinch test. I don't see any advantage to it.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:34 PM

I use spray basting. I've never had good luck with pinning or taping.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:45 AM

when i first started quilting i hand basted my quilts on the floor, using technique similar to one gwen marsten & jo cunningham demonstrated in their book on basic quiltmaking. now i have an antique fram i use for large quilts. but for mini's, wall & small quilts i still tape down backing ..but to cutting mat on table instead of floor. when pulling your backing taught -not tight- i place tape at each side, squaring as i go ..then progress along sides. but, tho i had never heard the "pinch test" term ...what i do to ensure backing is nicely taught to prevent puckers etc, i sorta test it in middle to check if any excessive give. if so, not taught enough, start over.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I had a class a long time ago and the pinch test was if you can pinch the backing fabric together it was too loose for basting using pins. Pins were what was used the most back then.