Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pincushion / Sewing & Button Box >
  • Pincushion / Sewing & Button Box

• Pincushion / Sewing & Button Box

Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 AM

I can't believe how beautiful your pincushion is. I totally love Crazy Quilting and sit for hours at a time making the stitches and putting on pretty beads and embellishments. I have made a few things, but have a quilt in progress at the moment. I love to make CQ Christmas stockings and made so many last year. If you have questions about website for embellishments let me know. And, anyone with ideas to offer would be great, too. You are a natural at this and it is a beautiful art, so keep at it.
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
    This project came about gradually.
    First I tried my hand at making a small crazy quilt project with an “Under the Sea” type theme. But I was not happy with how the piecing turned out so, did not go further into embellishing it. I began to think of how to make a small crazy quilt into something useful and small enough that the hours spent embellishing it were something I could do.

Some of the things I considered doing with a small crazy quilt project were: framing one, making one into an album cover, turning one into a tote bag, or a pillow, or using the idea to make a sewing box. My first attempt became an UFO, but not without hope for the future, and I moved on to making a little crazy quilted box instead.

Then on the QB I found a topic called “Exquisite Pincushion” by butterflywing. She was excited about a pincushion she found on Ivoryblushroses blogspot, and it truly is “Exquisite”. When I saw it, I was very thrilled too and knew just how I wanted to top off my “Under the Sea” crazy quilt box. http://ivoryblushroses.blogspot.com/...-dreaming.html
    By the way, Ivoryblushroses blogspot is chock full of exquisite images, beautiful words and lovely projects! Quite a fun place to surf around in!

I made my pincushion top flatter than a full pin cushion, because i wanted it to look like a lid. It is filled with saw dust and does a great job of holding the pins and needles in place, without having one sink out of sight.

So the pictures below show my crazy quilt UFO first, followed by photos of my finished “Under the Sea” Pin Cushion / Sewing & Button Box.
    Just got a look at the site. Wow!!
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 AM

Hats off to you! Beautiful....too pretty to stick any pins in it!!
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 AM

Thank you for such confidence boosting posts! I was worried that it was a little too over done, but then the Victorian philosophy of decorating was “more is more”.

I have to learn more about the fancy stitching used on crazy quilts, but decided little projects would be the most fun way to go about it. And it was!

The whole idea: fabrics and buttons and embellishments was inspired by the bowl of Sea glass shown in the pictures. When my son was young, he and I used to collect Sea glass together on the shore of Lake Ontario. (So it actually is Lake glass) :) He was really good at spotting the bits of glass in the rocks and sand. Whenever he had enough to fill a pretty jar, he would give it to someone for Christmas. One year he gave me the bowl full shown in the pictures. It is one of my favorite treasures.
    Your feather stitches here are beautiful. Your balance of embellishments are perfect. You Do have the knack!
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 AM

That is stunning!! I have a friend who loves all things beachie and she would love this!!!!
    This project came about gradually.
    First I tried my hand at making a small crazy quilt project with an “Under the Sea” type theme. But I was not happy with how the piecing turned out so, did not go further into embellishing it. I began to think of how to make a small crazy quilt into something useful and small enough that the hours spent embellishing it were something I could do.

Some of the things I considered doing with a small crazy quilt project were: framing one, making one into an album cover, turning one into a tote bag, or a pillow, or using the idea to make a sewing box. My first attempt became an UFO, but not without hope for the future, and I moved on to making a little crazy quilted box instead.

Then on the QB I found a topic called “Exquisite Pincushion” by butterflywing. She was excited about a pincushion she found on Ivoryblushroses blogspot, and it truly is “Exquisite”. When I saw it, I was very thrilled too and knew just how I wanted to top off my “Under the Sea” crazy quilt box. http://ivoryblushroses.blogspot.com/...-dreaming.html
    By the way, Ivoryblushroses blogspot is chock full of exquisite images, beautiful words and lovely projects! Quite a fun place to surf around in!

I made my pincushion top flatter than a full pin cushion, because i wanted it to look like a lid. It is filled with saw dust and does a great job of holding the pins and needles in place, without having one sink out of sight.

So the pictures below show my crazy quilt UFO first, followed by photos of my finished “Under the Sea” Pin Cushion / Sewing & Button Box.
    :thumbup: :wink: :thumbup:
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 AM

'swonderful! Apparently the old saying is true. "A quilter's brain is always working on something."
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Beautiful!
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 AM

Adorable just love it all
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM

That is so beautiful! If I saw it in a store I would have to buy it! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 09-03-2011, 07:47 AM

Very attractive box, I can see it at home on a lovely antique dresser top.