Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pincushion Tip >

Pincushion Tip

Pincushion Tip

Old 11-18-2010, 07:49 PM

I love my huge pincushion but needles would sink into it and get lost--kinda dangerous. To fix the problem, I covered the outside of a metal jelly jar lid with coordinating fabric and hot glued it down on the inside. Then I hot glued the pincushion on top. I made sure to glue around the edge and to hold the pincushion down for a few minutes so small items wouldn't be able to slip between the pincushion and lid. To store the needles, I just stick them in near the bottom so that the point touches the lid. They can't go any deeper. An added bonus is that the lid keeps the cushion from moving or rolling around.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM

Ah Thank you for this! I just saw a tutorial for this it is so perfect!!! The jar is good for keeping thread small scissors ect! Or make a fun sewing kit for a friend! Th
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Cyn

Sounds cool. I'll have to look up the instructions. Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the tip, will try to find a tutorial for us

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I love my huge pincushion but needles would sink into it and get lost--kinda dangerous. To fix the problem, I covered the outside of a metal jelly jar lid with coordinating fabric and hot glued it down on the inside. Then I hot glued the pincushion on top. I made sure to glue around the edge and to hold the pincushion down for a few minutes so small items wouldn't be able to slip between the pincushion and lid. To store the needles, I just stick them in near the bottom so that the point touches the lid. They can't go any deeper. An added bonus is that the lid keeps the cushion from moving or rolling around.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 PM

I would love to see a tutorial on it. Sounds really nice.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 PM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. I've seen tutorials for a pincushion on top of a jar. But I turned the lid over and glued the cushion on the inside. That way the lip edge helped to hold everything together. My pincushion is really big because I use lots of large quilting pins on almost every project.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 AM

I just saw a link to one of these that someone posted!
I'm going to make 5 of these for my DDs and BFFs for Xmas. None of them sew except to fix buttons or hems and always come to my place to get the needles and thread.
So I thought these would be a handy cute gift. The best part is it gives me another reason to go to the notions wall and buy the items to put inside it. Fun!
Thanks for the idea of putting a pincushion on the inside of the lid too.