Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pineapple Block Quilt

Pineapple Block Quilt

So, I bought a Pineapple block ruler a I successfully created a block. Now I can't visualize what a quilt would look like if I made several more of the attached blocks. I tried looking at the block using the tool that multiplies the block several times, but I still can't figure it out.

I'd appreciate feedback. What do you think I'll get if I stick with the same color schemes in this block?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does this help??? This is why I LOVE EQ7!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    ManiacQuilter2-you took her block and produced a fabulous result to her beautiful work. That's also why I love EQ7 too. Pudge, you could use those blocks all around, or even take the blues in a block, reds, greens, oranges, etc. in their own blocks and make a few of the same you have already done with all the colors and move them around in your design. I wouldn't take the whites out. It ties the colors together. Regardless how you do it, it will look amazing!

Blog Entries
    I think it's beautiful. I've made regular log cabin, but the pineapple block is out of this world!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

OMGosh!! I love it!!
    SusanSusan33- Blessed by God at Age 33 (Oct '00) with B/G twins. U.S. Air Force Veteran (1995-2002).

ManiacQuilter2 -

I cannot thank you enough for your help. You've shown me that I don't like the end result I would get if I made all the blocks the same. And thank you NanaCsews2. I think I should try your suggestion. And yet, I'll keep the white because that's what defines the pineapple effect.

Thanks everybody.

Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful block, and nice software

Good job, I love the colors they will make a beautiful quilt.

The first quilt I ever made was a pineapple quilt in 1998. I didn't know they made a ruler specifically for pineapple quilts. I think your quilt will be beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Okay, you like the color scheme but not the way the blocks look, and I'm wondering if it's too disjointed and scrappy-looking for your tastes. So I took it one step further, how about this?

Name:  rainbow pineapple 1.jpg
Views: 3003
Size:  1.26 MB

Or this?

Name:  rainbowpineapple2.jpg
Views: 2907
Size:  1.08 MB

The people on this forum are so kind and helpful with their knowledge. Love it!

Blog Entries
    Oh! I love what it looks like if you use the same color scheme. That would make a beautiful quilt. How kind of you to show how it would look Maniac Quilter 2

EQ7 is the best but for those of you who do not have it - You can play around with how a block will look when multiplied. In this case you could take the block you made and color xerox it. Alternatively, make a mock up with color paper or just color the block on paper with crayons or color pencils. Then color xerox it as many times as you wish and lay it out. It's much cheaper to play with paper than the fabric! Regardless, your quilt will be beautiful. I've never seen a pineapple quilt that isn't wonderful. Have fun (and do think about getting EQ - it's terrific).

Peckish - I prefer the red square block.

I am struggling mightily with this. I'm afraid I have to copy the block several times and lay it out and play with it, as has been suggested.

I get very frustrated by my inability to visualize multiple blocks. It took me 5 minutes to figure out the difference between the 2 blocks you showed was black vs red middle square. Very, very hard for my brain to differentiate.

Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by moneill View Post
    EQ7 is the best but for those of you who do not have it - You can play around with how a block will look when multiplied. In this case you could take the block you made and color xerox it. Alternatively, make a mock up with color paper or just color the block on paper with crayons or color pencils. Then color xerox it as many times as you wish and lay it out. It's much cheaper to play with paper than the fabric! Regardless, your quilt will be beautiful. I've never seen a pineapple quilt that isn't wonderful. Have fun (and do think about getting EQ - it's terrific).
    Thank you. Is EQ a software that needs frequent updates once you purchase it? Or is it good for a long time before you need to update (I have no patience for that.)

I like the blocks that Peckish laid out!
    For that layout to work, half the blocks will need to be mirror images of the other blocks. They are laid out so every other block has the colors in opposite order.

Have you googled pineapple quilts/ or Pinterest?--- for tons of pics of various color ways....easier than agonizing over it jmho

Some people are still using EQ5 and love it. You don't add an upgrade to your version, you buy the newest version of the program if you want it. All the information is at Electric Quilt website. The website used to have a free version called My Boutique with lots of free blocks. I don't know if it is still available.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I think it is beautiful. I used the book, years ago, on pineapple blocks by Jane Hall and Dixie ? The directions were clear and concise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Does this help??? This is why I LOVE EQ7!

I love this too. How were you able to post this pic? I have EQ7 too but it only saves as a PJ7. if I missed something in my tutorials, excuse my lack of knowledge. thanks!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

If you keep making blocks, you will have a beautiful quilt.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Is EQ a software that needs frequent updates once you purchase it? Or is it good for a long time before you need to update (I have no patience for that.)
    It does have updates called "builds" such as patches and software updates; those are free. For instance, the most recent update fixed some printing issues, increased the size of the dots on the worktable grid, some of the tools are easier to use and find, etc.

When a new version comes out, you just buy it, as someone else said. However, what wasn't mentioned was that if you already have the latest version of EQ, you get a generous discount when purchasing the new one. EQ7, the most recent version, came out in June of 2010. They also released a Mac version last spring.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
    I love this too. How were you able to post this pic? I have EQ7 too but it only saves as a PJ7. if I missed something in my tutorials, excuse my lack of knowledge. thanks!
    The easiest way to do it: When working on the quilt worktable, click File, then go down to "Export Image". It will save as a .jpg. This is how Maniac posted her image.

I prefer to post images without the patch lines showing. That's a little more complicated. First I go to Print Setup, and choose my .pdf printer as the default printer. Then I print the quilt to a .pdf and save it. Then I open the .pdf in Photoshop and save it as a .jpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
    I like the blocks that Peckish laid out!
    For that layout to work, half the blocks will need to be mirror images of the other blocks. They are laid out so every other block has the colors in opposite order.
    THANK YOU. This is what my mind can't figure out - how many blocks of each type do I need to be able to put various colors together. I can only get so far as to figure out that if I make all the blocks all the same, I won't be able to line them up in the color scheme I want. Very helpful information, thanks.

As I was looking at your block, I really liked it, but didn't care for the first layout that Peckish showed. As I was thinking, she posted the second and third version. They are just what I was thinking. I like the secondary pattern that is formed when the colors are together. Your quilt will be beautiful when you get it made.
    Sue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast