Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pink dresdens

pink dresdens

I had lots of help with this quilt ... And I am almost done!

Here's where I am at right now, and need a bit of guidance

I forgot to applique the corner dresden plates in the corners, and the binding is all done LOL ... I am willing to do FMQ of something ... feel free to toss out ideas

Also - I am looking at how to fill in the space between the dresden plates, and around the corner designs ... any ideas?

This is has been a lot of work! I did the grid work of the entire quilt before I appliqued. And yes, I did it in pink thread!

I soaked it in the tub for about 20 minutes to get rid of the markings, but it hasn't had a good wash yet, so if you see a marking it will go away once I wash it!

thanks so much for looking and for any suggestions!

Name:  dresden4.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  241.3 KB

Name:  dresden3.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  278.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Absolutely beautiful! Your quilting is great!

It’s beautiful. Did you appliqué the border or are the shapes foundation pieced?

The whole thing is appliqués!!

Beautiful quilt and colors. Wonderful work.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You are one brave woman to do pink thread but it turned out fantastic! Love your quilting and grid work. Great idea to do the grids first rather than start and stop. No ideas for the border quilting but am anxious to hear the more experienced quilters chime in.

Power Poster
    ​Pretty quilt!

If you are appliquéing smaller Dresden plates in the corners you should be able to appliqué them carefully in the corners by just sewing through the top layer. It would be a little time consuming but well worth the effort. You could hand quilt in the corners without a frame. You're very accomplished quilter so I'm sure you will find a method to suit you. You can send that gorgeous quilt my way and I'll figure it out. .

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like BSKTLOFR-QUILTER's ideas but would suggest that instead of the same size Dresden in the corner, that you use a longer, narrower one like the middle of the quilt--I think it would help focus the eye on your amazing quilting and the center appliques.

Oh sew lovely!

Here is my quilting design idea for you to fill in the space between the Dresden plates:

I would simply echo quilt the pretty feather design you have done. Then, as you approach the grid lines, extend your feather design where it currently ends. I look forward to seeing what you decide.

Blog Entries
    Love Dresdens and yours is spectacular!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

It's gorgeous! I would applique the corners the way you originally planned to. There's no reason you can't.

Blog Entries
    No one will ever know there was to have been appliquéd Dresdens in the corners. Whatever design you chose to insert in the corners will look like it was planned that way. After seeing what you've already done with this quilt, I wouldn't begin to advise you - the designs you have already done tell me you'll pick the right ones for the rest of it!
    Also...thank you for telling us you marked that whole grid first. That gave me a "whew" (so that's how it's done) moment! Love your quilting.
    Mavis

It’s really beautiful
    Lori

How about a smaller star in the corners, similar to the stars in the center?

I thought the corner was another blade you were going to turn the opposite way. If that is so, and you appliqued the other pieces after you sandwiched, what's to stop you from adding those corner blades now? (Or, am I not remembering correctly?)

bkay

I Love pink! it's beautiful Marion .
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-14-2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Your quilt is awesome. I do not have the courage to tackle a Dresden plate quilt.

I think it looks great the way it is without the dresden plates in the corners. As you have lots of white space around the center plates this makes the corners look natural.

Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    I thought the corner was another blade you were going to turn the opposite way. If that is so, and you appliqued the other pieces after you sandwiched, what's to stop you from adding those corner blades now? (Or, am I not remembering correctly?)

bkay
    you are remembering correctly, but I lost the blades, and only realized after I had put the binding on LOL

I would quilt something in the corners, something that reached thru the spaces between your house shapes and then have it travel up and work into already quilted area. You have done a beautiful job. I'm just starting to learn on my sit down longarm. Quite a learning curve for me having to muster up enough coordination between my hands and moving the quilt. I can't see me using colored thread for years

Very beautiful! I especially love your quilting.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by BSKTLOFR-QUILTER View Post
    If you are appliquéing smaller Dresden plates in the corners you should be able to appliqué them carefully in the corners by just sewing through the top layer. It would be a little time consuming but well worth the effort. You could hand quilt in the corners without a frame. You're very accomplished quilter so I'm sure you will find a method to suit you. You can send that gorgeous quilt my way and I'll figure it out. .
    Thank you for that idea, but I'm not handquilting LOL ... been there, done that, so not a fan! I agree, tho, it would look great!

Quote Originally Posted by trolleystation View Post
    Your quilt is awesome. I do not have the courage to tackle a Dresden plate quilt.
    They are actually really easy ... I do a short cut - I don't sew the tips ... I just cut out the template, fold them down, and iron them. Since they are always an applique thing, I just use a drop of glue in the middle to hold them down

Quote Originally Posted by rob529 View Post
    I would quilt something in the corners, something that reached thru the spaces between your house shapes and then have it travel up and work into already quilted area. You have done a beautiful job. I'm just starting to learn on my sit down longarm. Quite a learning curve for me having to muster up enough coordination between my hands and moving the quilt. I can't see me using colored thread for years
    This is all on my domestic ... I've been practising FMQ for the last 18 months, I made sure to pick an easy stencil to do FMQ with, especially in coloured thread! (Trust me, my practices were hilarious!)

The grid work was easy - just very mind-numbing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast