Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinking rotary blade?

Pinking rotary blade?

Pinking rotary blade?Does one exist?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have the blade. I don't know where I got it. I have never used it so don't know how well it works. Guess I'll have to try it today and let you know. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Olfa makes them.

Power Poster
    ​The are available but I have heard they are hard on your cutting mat. I don't have any experience with them myself as I use pinking shears instead. I think they make a wavy one too?

Blog Entries
    i have one marked pinking blade, but it is wavy. i agree with tartan, it is hard on your cutting mat. however, for my hands, it is much easier to use than pinking shears.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I use a 45mm pinking blade exclusively. I much prefer it as there are no threads all over the place. It is harder on your mat and you will have to replace it more often, but to me it's worth it. For more info and pictures, see this thread that I started on pinking blades: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t164499.html.
    Last edited by Canada Kate; 02-14-2013 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Added link to previous post on this topic.
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

To all that replied;Thank you so very much.You all helped me to make a decision.I'd rather save wear and tear on my cutting board.

Yes, got mine at Joann's.

I flip my board upside down and use the wrong side when I use various decorative rotary blades.

Blog Entries
    I have a pinking, scallop and a wave blade. I also have the blade that puts a needle hole in the fabric. DD gave me a pack of Olfa blades one year and it had every type of decorative blade in it. It was special packaging for a quilt shop promotion. I put each different blade in a cutter and have them labeled. I like to use them for raw edge applique.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 02-14-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    Got fabric?

Watch out for your rulers! I took a few nicks in the ruler the first few times I used mine until I got used of the blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Watch out for your rulers! I took a few nicks in the ruler the first few times I used mine until I got used of the blade.
    Ditto! I don't like nicking my ruler.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have one and use it occasionally.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I flip my board upside down and use the wrong side when I use various decorative rotary blades.
    Me too. That way it won't interfere with straight cuts I make on the 'right' side of the mat.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Olfa makes one and I love it. I wash my material before I quilt it (I know let's just not get into that discussion here) and I use the rotary pinking blade to shave off the cut ends of the fabric. It does a wonderful job and doesn't fray when washing and going through the dryer. I found when I first started and washed then it is easy for me to know which fabric has been washed by the rotary cuts on the ends. I do iron the fabric when it comes out of the dryer and sometimes it is hard to tell which is new and which is washed but with the zigzag ends, easy to tell.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    i use my pinking blade every now & then- i've never damaged my cutting mat with it..it is pretty sharp- you do not have to push down hard to use it. It comes in handy when i have a fabric that the edges want to fray.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have one by Olfa, and it works great. But do use an old cutting mat, or turn it over when using these blades.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Olfa makes one and I love it. I wash my material before I quilt it (I know let's just not get into that discussion here) and I use the rotary pinking blade to shave off the cut ends of the fabric. It does a wonderful job and doesn't fray when washing and going through the dryer. I found when I first started and washed then it is easy for me to know which fabric has been washed by the rotary cuts on the ends. I do iron the fabric when it comes out of the dryer and sometimes it is hard to tell which is new and which is washed but with the zigzag ends, easy to tell.
    LOVE this idea. It's always been a dilemma for me & I like the idea that it keeps the fabric from fraying! Thanks for this great tip.

Canada Kate, I had wondered about this, but i just couldn't imagine how to measure the 1/4" seam. It still seems to me the inside of > next to the ruler would be the place to measure from since that is where the straight cut would have been. But I am definitely going to experiment with this. Thanks for the info and demo.
    jean

Does anyone besides Olfa make cutters that take them? I refuse to buy an ergonomic cutter just to accomodate the specialty blades and that's the only Olfa cutter they fit.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

The Olfa blade fits all of my rotary cutters. I bought a bunch of cheap pinking blades a couple of years ago (from??? possibly harbour freight???) and they also fit all my cutters.

1) They work best on a non-healing mat. Get a cheap mat at a big box store!

2) Get a heavy metal carpenters rule to cut along: it won't hurt the blade and you'll avoid nicking your good rulers.

3) Well worth the trouble: you can pink the edges of a pile of fabrics in nothing flat. I prewash ALL my fabric and the pinked edges don't fray.

If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
    The Olfa blade fits all of my rotary cutters.
    And those cutters are what brand please? Olfa is very clear that their specialty blades are NOT to be used with anything but their ergonomic cutter. I'd get Fiskars specialty blades, but they aren't made for use on fabric (paper only) so aren't as sharp.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

All of my pinking blades are Olfa blades and I use them in all my 45 cutters. The only ergonomic cutter I have is a Martelli so never tried the blades in that one.

I have the pinking blade and the wavy blade and like them when i am working with fleece blankets-that is how I finish the edges. No fraying at all with fleece and have washed many times and stays looking good.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

Joann fabrics has them I have one and use it..
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast