Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinmoors or not >

Pinmoors or not

Pinmoors or not

Old 03-23-2016, 04:51 AM

I mostly make smaller items -- I prefer hand basting.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

It was the elmers glue I had no success with as it created lage blobs which although it washed out the quilting wasn't as smooth as I would have liked.
You are suppose to smooth the blobs out.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:48 AM

I bought a package of Pinmoors and seldom use them. When I used to pin binding, I would use the Pinmoors so I didn't stick myself. Now, since I use the Wonder Clips when I'm binding, I use the Pinmoors to cover the tips of the stilettos I make.
Attached Thumbnails 2015-09-18-stilettos.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 06:01 AM

I bought some Pinmores after seeing Leah Day using them. I've never been stuck so much in my life. I just never got the knack for putting them on so they wouldn't stick me. I gave them away. I went back to the medium-size bent basting pins. I never have any trouble with them.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t208057.html

I love basting with Elmers washable school glue. I can pin baste or thread baste but the glue basting gives me the best results. It does not gunk up the needle and I have done FMQ on several glue basted quilts.

Remember that glue basting replaces pin basting, not spray basting, and the glue does not have to cover every surface. Just dribble on in a grid about a hands width. I don't dilute mine or spray it on. Straight from the bottle.

I have never tried pinmoors.
I hand quilt using Elmer's Washable School Glue. I asked for it for Christmas 3 Christmas's ago and my darling daughter bought me a gallon. When hand quilting I found no difference than any other basting. The worse, it felt like crossing a seam when I missed a blob or did not smooth it enough. I've never bled while using glue. Give me Glue or give me Death!! LOL
Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 AM

I use my Pinmoors a great deal. Sometimes I even use them when sewing to prevent pin pricks. I'm unable to use safety pins due to arthritis/Fibromyalgia... so the Kwik Klip didn't work for me. I also will spray baste or use Elmers washable glue. I'll do anything to avoid pin pricks as they are so painful to my hypersensitive hands.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 AM

Try making some pinmoors with replaceable erasers that you can buy most anywhere. Just cut them into pieces. That way you can find out if you like them. I have them and use them but each pinmoor has to be removed along with the pin and that might be something you wouldn't like. I like using spray adhesive. Have tried glue but then I don't want the glue there as I always feel the quilt has to be washed to get rid of it.
Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I am wondering if the pinmoors are worth it? I have large safety pins I use to pin my quilts for quilting. The pinmoors looks so much easier. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:16 AM

I use 505 baste spray, have for years. It never gums up, has low to no odor.
And I use the wonder clips.

Regarding the pinmoors, I just heard of them a few weeks ago.
I actually found where several people buy backer rods, cut them, and use them. It's MUCH cheaper. Here's a post here on QB about it, and a link to Amazon where I bought some:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t184082.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s02

Regards,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 03-23-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 AM

mckwilter, you make those stilettos? They are lovely! My metal stiletto is just plain and homely. Maybe I should dress her up with some beads!
Old 03-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
I dislike safety pins of any kind! I am a real fan of Elmer's School Glue. I have had wonderful success with it. I will give my ton of pins away the first time I get interest from anyone. I think those pinmors look cumbersome and difficult to work around.
It has been brought to my attention, by a formerly homeless friend, that safety pins of any kind are worth their weight in gold to a homeless person, so I have donated mine to a local homeless assistance group. They were thrilled to get them. I love knowing that my old safety pins are improving someone's quality of life like they did mine when I first got them, and being "rustless" they are a nice quality for them.