Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pins  do we use enough >

pins do we use enough

pins do we use enough

Old 05-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

I pin a lot. It seems to work better for me. I do try not to sew over them but will miss one once in while.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I seldom pin, but I do glue baste or I finger pin and baste the intersections. It has been quicker and easier for me this way. But I do have a number of pins with little knick marks on them from being grazed by the needle :roll:

I was told on computerized machines, that hitting the pins can throw the machine out of timing? So that scared me and I found alternative methods...
Ditto on both of these comments. Sharon Schamber's glue basting is fast AND accurate - no pins to mess up the machine.

If you absolutely HAVE to use pins, try SILK pins - they are very thin. Then either take the pin out just before you sew over it OR hand turn the machine over the pin so you don't mess up the machine.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 AM

I find that I pin more now than I used to. I use the extra long ones with the flat Petal head (them seem thinning than most pins), I can go in/out twice (so the don't get caught under the foot) and don't push the heads all the way in so I only "go" over the metal . I try to pull them out before I get to them but sometimes I just can't stop myself . :oops:
Old 05-23-2010, 10:20 AM

I pin A LOT! The only exception to that is when I use 505. I can't break myself from my pin habit entirely, but I think I only use half the pins I normally do.

I've sewn over 4 pins in my 8 year history with quilting. I remember each one snapped and a sharp piece hit my glasses. Scared the bezonkers out of me each time, so I'm almost anal about slowing down enough and pulling the pin at the very last minute. I do find that my corners are a bit more accurate now though.....wonder if that has something to do with it.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm like Shaverg, I have a 930 Bernina, it's old but if I go over a pin, I don't notice it. My machine isn't computerized. Have set in a lot of sleeves over the years, haven't used lots of pins in
my quilting. Sleeves always took lots of pins. These pins I do
use in quilting are very fine ones. Costs a fortune, oh well! Don't
do much regular sewing on my old work horse. Pins cause me
lots of trouble. Think it's me, not the pins.
Marilyn
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I've heard that some people sew through pins (machine sewing) but when I learned to sew that was a huge no-no. Of course I tried it anyway and broke many needles. Is it just certain machines you can do it with??
Back to the topic.......... I agree with MamaBear :D I have big bite marks :D:D
when I leave the pins in the fabric then I stop short before and take it out..often I forget it...guess why I have a lot of bent pins ? The worst is when the sewing needle hits the pin bents it and disappears down the small hole....takes about half an hour and a lot of not so nice words to remove the pin. After this happens I try to be really careful to the time I step into the same old trap

:-(
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM

I'm a pins and glue gal! Found the glue faster and easier in some things.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Banned

I am just starting to use pins. I used them for the binding on my on my sons jean quilt. God bless. Penny
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 PM

I usually pin a whole lot too and I don't sew over them! I have this fear of hitting a pin and a piece flying into my eye. "You'll poke an eye out doing that!!"
Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 AM

I don't use pins very often. I have gone to a bunch of classes with some teachers they were very firm with the no pin policy. I believe her exact wording was "only God is perfect your quilting isn't expected to be." The last class I took was actually a teacher that promised that you will peice faster and with more precision with her technique, for the most part its been great!