Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pins and Teeth Alert!!!!

I do the same thing. This reminds me of a funny thing when I wanted to go fishing with my brothers, I had 9 of them. I was real good at cutting their fishing line with my teeth as they were really sharp. Strange, right! At least I goto fish.

I have cut thread with my sharp regular teeth all my life, and then got veneers and it is so hard to break the habit, but my veneers won't cut thread to save my life.

Blog Entries
    Oh gosh! I hold pins between my lips sometimes. Try to remember to wear the wrist pin cushion when I'm pinning. Actually getting spoiled to the glue baste pen...so not using regular pins as much. Its not as damaging when you put the glue pen in your mouth :wink:

I felt like you were talking to me. My dentist told me the same thing. I have to wear a night guard at night to keep me from clenching and grinding my teeth. Maybe, I need to wear it while sewing!

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    My Home Ec teacher told us many years ago that if she caught us with a pin in our mouth she just may give us a whack on the back.. That has stuck with me all my life. I never do that. She said that if we have one in our mouth and got startled, we may swallow it. OUCH!!
    My home ec teacher always told us we'd fail the current project... OUCH!

i tend to hold them with my teeth too. i used to always bite the thread to cut it. my hygienist told me she could tell becuse the thread was making a groove in my front teeth. stopped doing that but sometimes i can't resist the feel of the pin between my teeth.

Blog Entries
    I used to do that most of the time, especially when I started sewing (clothing). But the first time I was sewing with my grandchildren, I stopped just before I stuck a pin in my mouth. Didn't want to teach them a bad and dangerous habit.

I do this all the time. Thanks for the warning.

Blog Entries
    I dont put pins in my mouth anymore as my front teeth are gone. I lost my bridge a few weeks ago (it didnt fit anyway) so I use the magnet pin cup.

Blog Entries
    BOY AM I GLAD I POSTED THIS. I KNOW I AM DEFINITLY NOT ALONE IN THIS BAD HABIT. I HOPE ALL THE HOME ECH TEACHERS OUT THERE READ THIS AND IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY TEACHING IT, DO. I TOOK HOME ECH MANY YEARS AGO BUT DON'T REMEMBER LEARNING ABOUT IT.

WOW! Never knew this. I hold pins in my mouth all the time as did my mother! It seems easier than pulling them from a cushion. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I was reading a magazine article once about a woman who had had breast implants put in. To show how "flat" she had been before, she said she wore falsies and used them as a pincushion while sewing. Until one day the doorbell rang and she answered it to find a shocked door-to-door salesmen looking at her chest with all the pins stuck in it!!
    LOL...LOL...LOL

Yes!! I actually had one of my front lower teeth to chip off from the years of biting off my thread with my teeth!! I stopped doing that, too!! And, this was when I was in my late 30's!!

Quote Originally Posted by misoop
    Yes!! I actually had one of my front lower teeth to chip off from the years of biting off my thread with my teeth!! I stopped doing that, too!! And, this was when I was in my late 30's!!
    Ditto!! It costs less to quit putting pins in your mouth than to get a crown -- trust me!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What?? NO! I don't know if I can break this habit! I always have a pin in my mouth... And I cut my thread with my teeth if I don't have a pair of scissors handy... hmmm, thanks for the alert!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ajohn52
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I was reading a magazine article once about a woman who had had breast implants put in. To show how "flat" she had been before, she said she wore falsies and used them as a pincushion while sewing. Until one day the doorbell rang and she answered it to find a shocked door-to-door salesmen looking at her chest with all the pins stuck in it!!
    LOL...LOL...LOL
    Bwahahaha!

Blog Entries
    just like we use to open bobbie pins with our teeth

Gosh, I am guilty of putting a couple (not more than 2 or 3 when I am sewing and they get in the way (as did my Mom). Amy, when she was little, used to say Mommy, you are going to swallow that - old habits are hard to break, aren't they? Thanks for the info - will try to stop!!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    When I was in high school, a girl in home ec. sucked a needle down her throat. Luckily it went straight through.

My daughter, at less than a year, picked a pin up off the floor and before I could get to her, she swallowed it. Took her to ER and they took an X-ray. Thankfully it was a big headed pin and it went head first, not point first. Just had to wait for it to pass through. That was fun. I saved the pin and put it in her baby book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onemoe
    just like we use to open bobbie pins with our teeth
    yes I remember that too. Our poor little pearly whites. LOL :-D :lol:

Blog Entries
    I didn't realize that I did it until I saw my granddaughter with a pin in her mouth.

Blog Entries
    Re: the breast implants, I really got a big chuckle out of that. Feels good to get a good laugh once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I would be afraid of swallowing the pin if I put it beween my teeth.
    Me too!!!

I don't have time to read all the replies, if someone has already mentioned it I apologize, but I don't put anything in my mouth that might have originated in China. It seems lead is in everything being imported from China including paint, toothpaste, toys, sewing items, blinds and so forth. Don't risk putting a pin loaded with lead into your Mouth!

Didn't she think if she whacked you for punishment it would startle you and you would swallow the pin LOL

Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    My Home Ec teacher told us many years ago that if she caught us with a pin in our mouth she just may give us a whack on the back.. That has stuck with me all my life. I never do that. She said that if we have one in our mouth and got startled, we may swallow it. OUCH!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast