Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pinterest as an ideas board

Pinterest as an ideas board

I don't know why I haven't thought of this before: I'm planning a quilt which will need careful block and colour selection, and I've started a Pinterest board to collect pictures that feed my ideas and explorations. It's a really useful record and very inspiring. I may go on to use it to record the making of the quilt.

Good Idea!

Blog Entries
    I am a "newbie" to Pinterest and have been pinning lots of quilts that I like to my "quilt board". When I went back to look at the quilts that I had pinned, I realized that almost all of them have a lot of white in them.
    Nikki in MO

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    I am a "newbie" to Pinterest and have been pinning lots of quilts that I like to my "quilt board". When I went back to look at the quilts that I had pinned, I realized that almost all of them have a lot of white in them.
    ...so you have discovered that you like quilts with lots of white I them.........

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    One of the things I like about Pinterest is it can reveal things about your tastes that you hadn't quite realised. I noticed that my home decor board was full of neutral -coloured , tidy spaces. My house isn't! I'm now beginning to make changes and I love it!

I use Pinterest the same way. I had been a member many months before I finally learned how to use it and now I would hate to be without it.
    jean

Blog Entries
    Pinterest is dangerous!!! Lol

Blog Entries
    It's very Pinteresting!

I pin a LOT for ideas. I have 6 or 7 boards just for quilting alone. I've gone back to my boards a lot when I'm looking for a project. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
    I use Pinterest the same way. I had been a member many months before I finally learned how to use it and now I would hate to be without it.
    I guess I'm not as smart as you need to be to understand how Pinterest works............I never have figured out how to use it myself.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

I haven't figured out Pinterest either. I signed up and it forced me to pick a bunch of favorite stuff, so I did, not knowing what I was really doing...so now I have this extremely random pinterest board that I have no clue what to do with. It has all kinds of stuff on there, from quilts to vintage robots to bizarre architecture. Okay...it's all stuff I like, but...now what?? LOL

My daughter signed me up last yr..I too get those random picks from it...I simply delete it! Not interested......too me it is just a lot of ..look what I did or look at the pic I found....I would rather look out a window and see real things.....

Pinterest is a great idea starter.

I've recently entered the Pinterest world myself -- have a blast pinning various ideas I find. Then I realized -- its the equivalent of the "Idea" scrap books I've kept for years. Pictures of model homes, craft ideas, gardening, quilting, etc -- but all on line, and much, much easier. I'm doing lots of pinning, but haven't figured out how to get to my own board to check out everything I've saved! : )

Pinterest reminds me (except it's quicker) of the days I would sit in the middle of the floor, drag all the magazine's I'd saved for the last few months and cut out the things I wanted to do/make/engage in. And instead of organizing them in manilla folders, they're now stored in digital folders, (boards).

I have boards for all types of categories. Some I've gone back into and become more specific with, moved stuff, etc., others not so much.

I find it highly interesting to see what creativity others in the world can create, in a variety of media.
    I get a lot of inspiration from art work, clothes, architect, other parts of the world that I've not seen in living color.

Pinterest is my file cabinet!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    My daughter signed me up last yr..I too get those random picks from it...I simply delete it! Not interested......too me it is just a lot of ..look what I did or look at the pic I found....I would rather look out a window and see real things.....
    I thought it was stupid too, before I understood how useful it is. Now I can't do without it.
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I haven't figured out Pinterest either. I signed up and it forced me to pick a bunch of favorite stuff, so I did, not knowing what I was really doing...so now I have this extremely random pinterest board that I have no clue what to do with. It has all kinds of stuff on there, from quilts to vintage robots to bizarre architecture. Okay...it's all stuff I like, but...now what?? LOL
    You are welcome to check out mine, to get a feel for how to organize your interests and how to choose what to pin.
    http://www.pinterest.com/bonbonevans/

Oh my, you have an amazing pinterest site, sewbizgirl. You have so many folders for every aspect of quilting.... WoW!! And I should follow you because I think we have similar tastes.

I just started Pinterest recently but I'm learning a lot about myself. I always knew I liked a certain style of quilt but now I KNOW that's what I like because that's mostly what I pin.

And, I noticed that I have more pins for recipes than anything else and I'm not surprised that I have pinned quite a few desserts. Did I really want to know all this about myself?
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

I love Pinterest - it gives me so many ideas and inspirations on so many different topics and is a record of things I've done and enjoyed. I just pin photos that appeal to me and have a very random collection of boards. Over the months and years it can build up into a collection that really reflects all your different interests, moods and enthusiasms. I learn about myself when I look at my boards. I really would encourage people to get past the initial unfamiliarity and have a go. It's such a useful tool for anyone who's creative. The one thing I'm not doing enough of on there is posting my own pins rather than repinning existing ones. I want to change that.

Sewbizgirl -love your boards and have started following you.

Mine are at http://www.pinterest.com/annesthreads/ and are a very - varied - collection!

Blog Entries
    I love pinterest...I have learnt so much and get so many ideas!!! Not just quilting but everything, decorating, food and so many other things

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I don't like it either. Saw a pattern I liked on a few pins, and only one person posted the link to get the pattern. This is not helping the seller of the pattern to make any money if someone wants to buy the pattern. I did buy the pattern once I found it.

I've since banned it from searches. I have too many other interests to devote to one category and no time to read them all.

I haven't figured out pinterest either. From what I've seen, though, I'm not impressed. I print things to PDF or save web links. Pinterest looks as disorganized as those if not more so. I've had trouble following the links others have posted to pinterest, so in that respect, it seems worse than saving links..
    Sue Wilson