Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinwheel quilt suggestions >

Pinwheel quilt suggestions

Pinwheel quilt suggestions

Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 AM
dd

I just found strips of fabrics, 4 different color polka dots and white. I thought it would be pretty made into pinwheels. Can I make the pinwheels from these strips? I was thinking if I sewed down each side then cut into triangle from each sewn side I would have the triangle sets only going the wrong way. I would have a large triangle instead of a block to sew together.

I was also thinking I could sew the triangles diagonally across the strips then cut them apart. Has anyone done anything like this before? Which do you think would be easier?

I'm wondering how much the bias is going to be a problem if I sew down the side?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
JJC

Originally Posted by dd
I just found strips of fabrics, 4 different color polka dots and white. I thought it would be pretty made into pinwheels. Can I make the pinwheels from these strips? I was thinking if I sewed down each side then cut into triangle from each sewn side I would have the triangle sets only going the wrong way. I would have a large triangle instead of a block to sew together.

I was also thinking I could sew the triangles diagonally across the strips then cut them apart. Has anyone done anything like this before? Which do you think would be easier? I'm wondering how much the bias is going to be a problem if I sew down the side?

One thing I learned here on board, was when sewing down the sides - sew down one side, turn fabric around and sew back up the other side. This will prevent the fabric from having wavy creases in it. Regarding the bias, startch your fabric pieces first, then press/iron them which will really help the pieces that are on the bias.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM

I just put together a table topper today in polka dots. Blue, green, yellow, pink, orchid, orange dots and white. I love it.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM

If you are worried about the bias, maybe you want to create just one block and see how it goes?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
dd

Originally Posted by Dina
If you are worried about the bias, maybe you want to create just one block and see how it goes?
I was thinking that too. But I didn't think about the spray starch. That might help to keep it from stretching.

Love the kitties!