Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Place mats

Blog Entries

Place mats

Does anyone know where I can get some good place mat patterns. I really don't want to just do a short version of a table runner which is what they told me to do at the fabric shop.

Check ModaBakeshop.com there are several there. Google will give you many choices also
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

https://www.google.com/search?q=quil...w=1269&bih=572

Here are some pictures that you might want to consider. I like to do a google search of images to get new ideas.

Blog Entries
    placemats are so easy to just-be creative! they generally are 12" x 16"...so, find a 12" block you like- add a couple side borders-there you go, or use a panel or print you like cut into maybe a 9" square- then add borders around to the size placemat you want-or, use a basic print for a plain area- then make a row or (3) 4" blocks along the side of the plain fabric...there are so many easy ways to do placemats- do you really need a pattern?
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

If these suggestions are not enough, go to pinterest to find lots more suggestions. Placemats are so much fun to make.

me too. I don't know how I ever found anything before google ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Another good source is McCalls, Simplicity or Butterick patterns. You can often catch them on sale for 99 cents or $1.99.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Senior Member raspberryparade09's Avatar
    I like cute and different placemats. Here is a link to a few that I like:

http://www.creativequiltkits.com/cat...lt/?q=placemat

I've made the Morning Rush Coffee place mat kit - and they are bright and cheerful.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I've gotten some good ideas from a Google search and looking at the photos. I've been making some for my mom that I've used the pattern for a square and then added side strips to make it wide enough. I made some for Christmas that were hexagons and octagons. There are some cool looking patterns available (free and otherwise). I had a hard time deciding which one to try first!
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Nice, PlanoDebbie. I didn't think I was looking for placemats, too, but maybe I was. Your google search got my attention.

Thanks PlanoDebbie and RasberryParade for the links.
    Anne

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Any of the mug rug patterns would work. Some of the mug rugs end up being as big as placemats. Jenny Doan MSQC. FOR ONE. FONS AND PORTER, QUILTY. CRAFTSY.COM. Come up with one of your own. depends on what size you want.

This is what I think of when I make placemats. Lots of patterns feature a central design, but when you think about it, your plate covers this up. I generally try to find a side design, so that when the plate is on and you're eating, you can still see the design. I have made A LOT of placemats, and one of my favorite design is to make a strip pieced inset off to one side, add some piping or a little flange on either side to coordinate with the fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post

Here are some pictures that you might want to consider. I like to do a google search of images to get new ideas.
    Jeepers - I thought I was a "frequent flyer" of Google - but I hadn't thought of doing that. What a neat "idea" when your mind is stuck in a rut for inspiration.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

there are several free Placemat patterns at this link as well. http://www.allfreesewing.com/?task=s...term=placemats

went to google link and couldn't believe how many they have pictured there! then at the bottom you click for more..wow!

Sent you a PM
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

Thanks Planodebbie for the google search. Lots of really great pictures that are inspirational. Now I want to make some new placemats....

Blog Entries
    I am working on a set right now. It takes 36, 5"charm squares. You cut them in half and then in half again. So you will have 4 strips, 5" x 1 1/4" (per ea square)(You can stack them and cut several at a time.) After you have them all cut, lay them out and mix them up for different colors, and then sew 6 strips together making into squares again. Then you cut a solid color fabric into 36, 5" squares. (It said to buy 2 yards of the solid color). Then you lay a solid block with your 6 strips block Right sides together and cut into half square triangles. (when you sew the triangles together you will have, half the block solid and half the block with the strips). Really pretty. Then you sew all those blocks together in whatever pattern they look good, turning the blocks one way or the other or not turning the blocks at all. Play with them to see how you like them and then sew them together to what size you want. Not sure if you can understand this but you could check Moda for the pattern (it was free) It was called "Turn on the Charm Placemat Tutorial", makes 4 placemats. Go to www.modabakeshop.com to download the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanoDebbie View Post

Thank you for this link ! Some very impressive ideas for some of us !!

Blog Entries
    Quiltmom 04 made a really good point about focusing on a center design. (it gets covered by the plate and you can't see it)....so the focus on a "side line" of pretty design is much more appealing. Thanks Quiltmom 04...makes a lot of sense.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    placemats are so easy to just-be creative! they generally are 12" x 16"...so, find a 12" block you like- add a couple side borders-there you go, or use a panel or print you like cut into maybe a 9" square- then add borders around to the size placemat you want-or, use a basic print for a plain area- then make a row or (3) 4" blocks along the side of the plain fabric...there are so many easy ways to do placemats- do you really need a pattern?
    Excellent ideas, ckcowl. The options are endless. And quiltmom 04 makes good points as well.
    Alma
    Nami to 6