Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Placemat Batting

Placemat Batting

Hi - Happy Easter! I'm making 8 placemats. I want them to be flat, so I prewashed my fabric, starched and ironed it. I will also prewash my batting, so there will be no shrinkage. My question is should I use cotton batting or Pellon fusible? I have never used Pellon fusible. It does not look nearly as thick as cotton batting. I want substantial placemats. What batting would you recommend?

Thanks!
    LaDonna

I use Warm and white which is an all cotton batting. What I have found is that the small puckers aren't as noticable as the binding. I recommend pillowcasing or facing the placemats for a smooth edge.

Power Poster
    ​I use my regular 80/20 quilt batt for placemats.

I've used Pellon product PEL988 many times for table runners and place mats. It's very low loft, but does show up the quilting very nicely. It's not fusible, but very easy to handle.

I recently saw some placemats a quilt shop owner made in preparation for teaching a class on quilt as you go placemats, and she used Bosal foam. The placemats looked great, very flat, and evenly thick.

Blog Entries
    Bosal and the Pellon fusible fleece are both great choices and you don’t need to prewash them. They don’t shrink
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I use Warm and white which is an all cotton batting. What I have found is that the small puckers aren't as noticable as the binding. I recommend pillowcasing or facing the placemats for a smooth edge.
    Thank you. I picked out the prettiest binding, but I did not think that would be a problem. So, are you saying that the binding makes glasses (regular drinking and wine glasses) be susceptible to falling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​I use my regular 80/20 quilt batt for placemats.
    Thank you. Just curious, do you put binding on them?

A pattern I have for placemats suggests using flannel for the batting. Do prewash that because of the possible shrinkage factor. I'm not much on using a very thick batting for placemats as it can cause spills.

I use 8020 in placemats. I have some that I have used for several years and wash them regularly and dry them in the dryer. I have never had a problem with curling edges, shrinkage, edges curling, etc. They are bound in the regular way. I have 3 sets of placemats made this way.

I use Pellon fusible fleece but if you want it thicker go with two layers: one fused to the front and one to the back. It quilts up nicely either way and lays flat.

I'm going to follow this thread. I spent so much time making Christmas placemats and used fusible fleece, which I thought was thin enough. For me the placemats were too thick.

Run a few tests first.

Try Quilters Dream batting for machine quilting. It is 70% cotton and 30% polyester. It stays flat and does not crinkle up after laundering.

I used prewashed flannel. Not too thick and stays flat for glasses and stemware placed on it.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.