Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Places for Reasonably Priced fabrics

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    Now is really the time to post places for reasonably priced fabrics. Not on line....we can all find these places but places we might encounter while traveling, on vacation etc.

    I will start with:

    If in the central Massachusetts area.
    Auburn (near Worcester) is "The $1.99 Fabric Store". Some good fabric there for quilting.

    Mardens in Maine. This has been mentioned and need to check to see which stores carry fabric. Prices from $2.99-$3.99 thereabouts.

    Lets add to this list. NO on line please. Just store fronts.

  2. #2
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Now is really the time to post places for reasonably priced fabrics. Not on line....we can all find these places but places we might encounter while traveling, on vacation etc.

    I will start with:

    If in the central Massachusetts area.
    Auburn (near Worcester) is "The $1.99 Fabric Store". Some good fabric there for quilting.

    Mardens in Maine. This has been mentioned and need to check to see which stores carry fabric. Prices from $2.99-$3.99 thereabouts.

    Lets add to this list. NO on line please. Just store fronts.
    No fair! By the time I drive there thats about a million per yard :lol:

  3. #3
    Super Member boxerlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, TN
    Posts
    1,012
    This will be a good thread to watch!

  4. #4
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Now is really the time to post places for reasonably priced fabrics. Not on line....we can all find these places but places we might encounter while traveling, on vacation etc.

    I will start with:

    If in the central Massachusetts area.
    Auburn (near Worcester) is "The $1.99 Fabric Store". Some good fabric there for quilting.

    Mardens in Maine. This has been mentioned and need to check to see which stores carry fabric. Prices from $2.99-$3.99 thereabouts.

    Lets add to this list. NO on line please. Just store fronts.
    Can't you just this once tell me what store it is JUST this once! PLEASE! I won't tell promise :roll:SORRY GOT IT DUH :oops:

  5. #5
    Super Member patchsamkim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fox Valley Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,932
    Yds
    5530 State Road 116, Omro, WI 54963-9356 (920) 582-7196 ‎

    Never know what treasures I will find at this shop....if you are ever in the area it is worth the stop..to the west of Oshkosh.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    If you mean the Auburn Ma store. It is at the junction of Rt 12 and Rt 20 just outside Worcester and just off the Mass Pike (I-91). The name of the store is "The $1.99 Fabric Store". You can't miss it. It is next door to Outback Steak House.
    My intention is to post names of places we might be passing by or in the vacinity of. For example. In October I will be in the Charlotte NC toward Atlanta area and always looking for the outlet/remnant stores.

  7. #7
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    Holice, we're heading your way around 5/29 and will be back home end of July, I hope to make this a bit of a fart, but the bus is limited and DH gets crabby when I buy too much, tho he did make room for the $8 26 " Hinterburg floor hoop I found near Lancaster in one of the Mennonite thrift stores (I gave them an extra donation the price was so silly).

    Anyway Mary Jo's in Gastonia , NC is right off I85 and altho I've never shopped there is supposed to be well worth the trip.

  8. #8
    Super Member bluteddi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    3,140
    Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    Yds
    5530 State Road 116, Omro, WI 54963-9356 (920) 582-7196 ‎

    Never know what treasures I will find at this shop....if you are ever in the area it is worth the stop..to the west of Oshkosh.
    oh goody... planning to go to Omro this summer ( got to see the GGD!!!)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    696
    If anyone is heading toward SD to Sturgis or the Black Hills, etc, there is a Mills End Outlet in Sioux Falls. They have good fabrics on bolts - not real cheap but less than a LQS. Their flat folds are often 2.99 or 3.49.

    Then in NW Iowa, in Hawarden, there is In-weave. Very messy store, but I find good fabrics at good prices there. Always buy too much. They have a lot of home dec and upholstery too. One of the gals there makes gorgeous purses with upholstery fabrics. Great place to get ideas.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jamiestitcher62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    744
    Thanks for the info on the Auburn store.

  11. #11
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    thanks for the store in Omro, need to go there!

  12. #12
    Super Member bamamama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    2,015
    Sir's Fabrics in Fayetteville, TN. I've found some really good bargins there. Last visit they had beautiful Batiks for $4.99 yd. I found a table full tone on tone whites, beige's and creams for $1.99 a yard, makes for a good background or backing fabric. Its about a 45 min ride but worth it if I stock up when I go.

    Across the street they have another building full of drapery and upholstry fabrics.

  13. #13
    Junior Member Taffkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    looking at the mountains
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    Holice, we're heading your way around 5/29 and will be back home end of July, I hope to make this a bit of a fart, but the bus is limited and DH gets crabby when I buy too much, tho he did make room for the $8 26 " Hinterburg floor hoop I found near Lancaster in one of the Mennonite thrift stores (I gave them an extra donation the price was so silly).

    Anyway Mary Jo's in Gastonia , NC is right off I85 and altho I've never shopped there is supposed to be well worth the trip.
    Mary Jo's is WELL WORTH THE TRIP! Plan on spending HOURS and I mean HOURS there!
    If you need thread, stabilizer, yarn, serger thread, etc, check out Long Creek Mills just about 4 miles up the road from Mary Jo's. Charlie is wonderful to meet!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.