Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
plaid in a quilt?? >

plaid in a quilt??

plaid in a quilt??

Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 AM

Default plaid in a quilt??

I don't believe I have ever used plaid in a quilt, but I found some fabric that I like so I bought it. Its a blue and yellow plaid flannel (not as loud as it seems) and I have some navy blue flannel that I like with it. They just look and feel "cozy". I think I will make myself a quilt for on the couch.... any ideas of a pattern? I could do a simple patchwork, but just wondering if there is something else that would be a little more fitting.. and still be somewhat easy. I am not against adding in a 3rd fabric (yellowish maybe??)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]455314[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails plaid.jpg   blue.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM

I love your plaid fabric! Good luck ~ it will make a beautiful quilt!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM

It is a lovely print. I would probably use it in a simple pattern, with maybe a little bit of applique somewhere to soften it up a bit. The other thing I would do is use it on the bias to add interest. If it's not printed on the straight-of-grain, a bias cut would solve that problem too.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

yellow would be a great one to add more of, or green. I made a quilt with plaid, stripes and checks long ago. Still love it.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

It looks like it is a woven fabric rather than cotton print? If so, you want to keep the pattern simple like a Nine Patch with bigger than normal seams.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Personally I would hesitate cutting it up much ... I would not want to lose the plaid! Plus in cutting it up, you have the challenge of keeping the lines straight with your seams.]

I really like Peckish's suggestion of putting it on the bias. I would either use it in one piece or as a backing. Or frame up the bias with your solid. The flip side could be a traditionally pieced pattern ... or another favourite large print material that you do not want to cut!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I don't believe I have ever used plaid in a quilt, but I found some fabric that I like so I bought it. Its a blue and yellow plaid flannel (not as loud as it seems) and I have some navy blue flannel that I like with it. They just look and feel "cozy". I think I will make myself a quilt for on the couch.... any ideas of a pattern? I could do a simple patchwork, but just wondering if there is something else that would be a little more fitting.. and still be somewhat easy. I am not against adding in a 3rd fabric (yellowish maybe??)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]455314[/ATTACH]
I don't keep info on quilt pictures, but a post a couple of years ago contained some pink/red plaid. Beautiful. Anyone remember who's quilt it was?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

the plaid is so pretty, i would probably just alternate blocks with the blue cutting the plaid on the double repeat [about 8"] and then match the solid to those.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Both fabrics are beautiful. The only problem I've had is keeping the lines in the plaid straight when cutting and sewing them. So I tend to shy away from them.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM

That plaid would be great! I'd find a yellow, too, to set off and plaid and the navy both.

If it were me, though, I'd use it on the straight grain. When I've used plaids on the bias, they were the type with narrower bands of color. Not sure what the scale of your fabric is, but this one looks like a "use it straight" one. And you wouldn't be dealing with bias edges.

hugs,
charlotte