Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plans for sewing room after I'm gone. >

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Plans for sewing room after I'm gone.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:55 AM

Wow, this has been an eye opening thread! First I'm so sorry for your loss. I have been on this buying fabric binge for about a year now and I know my kids would throw it all away. My sister is the executor of my will and has just made her first quilt but I don't think she would want my stash, as for my sewing machines my son knows to sell them because they do have value. I guess basically I now have just bought my last bit of fabric and that I will start getting rid of the machines so that there is no resentment after I'm gone with what to do with my junk? Although they have each loved receiving a quilt when I made it for them.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:35 AM

I spent months cleaning out my Mom's house, she moved into assisted living and it was hard, went through all kinds of emotions. At first wanted to get rid of everything I had, stopped sewing, stopped enjoying life really. My DH pointed out I am still very much here and healthy and I need to enjoy what I love to do so I started sewing again and I used to wonder what will happen to my stuff but in reality I have little control over that. I told my husband to go to a sewing store and find a young person who is excited about sewing and offer them a sewing machine if I go first. I wish there was a group or way to donate to a young person who is starting out with that passion for sewing who would appreciate having our things but not sure how to make that work. I think this is a good topic to discuss and think about but having just come out of a small depression over it, not let it change the way we are now. When I sew on my Singer 201, I wonder who used to own it and what they made and feel honored to own it and hope someday someone else enjoys using it. Thank you for posting this as I think it is a great topic for ideas of how to leave things to people who would appreciate them.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:50 AM

I told my son to call my quilt group and they will come and take it all immediately! We have a yearly auction and it would all go. I have a huge stash, machines, books, etc. and it continues to grow. It is my hoard and I love it.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:58 AM

My condolences on the loss of your sister, Gail. Thank you for starting this discussion. It's an important thing to talk about.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:03 AM

My husband declared that he would have a bonfire in the driveway when I die. He has no hobbies other than to boss me around, so I gave away, literally, my entire sewing room and half of my fabric closet to a friend who has nothing. She is a widow and has very limited means. I happy as a clam since can't quilt anymore. She is thrilled. I still have 2 shelves of quilt books to sell and half of my fabric closet to donate, but it will happen. We are moving into an apartment in 7 months, after we sell our house, so by then I should have it all gone. I have 3 machines and hopefully the gg will have room for them.

Last edited by carolynjo; 08-26-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:07 AM

These are all great ideas. I'm in a rural area and no guild or fabric store to speak of. My DD would rather knit and crochet so that's where the yarn and thread goes. However we do have some active 4-H groups that are learning to sew. My plan is to contact the county extension office and see where I can best help some young folks with the heart to learn our craft.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:35 AM

Default sewing room clean out

In my will my fabric goes to the Linus project. My books go to a friend but she is no longer able to sew. I think I will see if one of the local libraries woul like my books. Diane C.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 AM

My sister passed almost two years ago...I was to take what I wanted, and the balance went to quilting guilds in the area.
My husband and I made our wills three weeks ago, and I specified who gets what...but I'm starting to purge and use what is in the stash before buying more. I'm only 64, but who knows how much time is left??
Old 08-26-2016, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your sister. DH gets into 'our' stash. Yep, he helped purchase a lot of it and the notions and tools. He will handle it as he sees fit. As far as any yarn/embroidery work, he says it will go to the curb. I told him to go for ebay since he buys a lot from eBay. Showed him receipts and the $$ started the gears in motion. Now when he thinks anything is getting worn, he suggests new. He's good with the machines we have (only 2). So that won't be a problem. He got bored the other night and re-lubed and oiled the 401. I know if I go before him, everything will be just fine.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:45 AM

I have decided to change my will. I want to donate my fabric and machines to charity. My best friend and DH are going to be executors of my estate and they know the value of my machines and fabric so I don't have to worry about the stuff going to the trash. I do have about 50-75 vintage quilts that will bring in money to charity, even $25 helps feed someone in need. I do know a few places where you can send fabric and notions if you don't mind the postage. PM me and I will send you addresses in South Dakota and Minnesota.