Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plastic bins for storing quilts? >

Plastic bins for storing quilts?

Plastic bins for storing quilts?

Old 06-08-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Are you driving or flying? Which method will pack better? The quilts can get there either way.
I'm driving with a friend so space is not a problem.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:03 AM

Some plastics actually transfer the oil they are made from into fabric. My aunt's silk wedding gown was stored in a plastic bag and is permanently yellowed. The cleaners told her it was from the plastic. Undyed muslin works wonderful!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
Some plastics actually transfer the oil they are made from into fabric. My aunt's silk wedding gown was stored in a plastic bag and is permanently yellowed. The cleaners told her it was from the plastic. Undyed muslin works wonderful!
All the input has been great. I was worried this was a "dumb question" but the comments on some of the cons of plastic and what to use in place of it have made me glad I asked. The quilts are going to IL, a very hot and humid place in the summer! Thanks so much, board members!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:13 PM

I've not stayed in Illinois in the summer but have lived a few decades along the Gulf. I wasn't aware of the humid weather in Illinois; I would have expected it to be drier like Kansas or Kentucky. I never cease to be amazed at the scope of learning that is available on the QB!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I've not stayed in Illinois in the summer but have lived a few decades along the Gulf. I wasn't aware of the humid weather in Illinois; I would have expected it to be drier like Kansas or Kentucky. I never cease to be amazed at the scope of learning that is available on the QB!
I've never been to the gulf area but compared to CO, IL feels VERY humid to me! And hot. The further west you travel, the drier it is.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Until you get used to it, the Gulf area is like living in liquid air. Saves you the trouble of sweating. LOL!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Pretty matching pillow cases are a better way to go than plastic tubs. In the summer humidity mold and mildew grow really fast in dark airless places like plastic tubs. have a good trip.
peace
I agree with the pillow cases. If you want to package them after that, put them in a cardboard box so they can "breathe."
Old 06-09-2012, 05:11 AM

I have had some quilts stored in plated totes for over 3 years in our sea can due to lack of space in our cabin. I take them out & refold about twice a year. Have not had a problem with moisture.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 AM

I, too store fabrics in plastic bins, but I drill holes all around the bin, so they can breathe. Have had no trouble.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:51 PM

I've been using plastic storage boxes for years and, knock on wood, never encountered any problem. Our very dry climate may be the saving factor and as you live in beautiful Longmont you know what I mean. Putting the pillow case as a liner sure couldn't hurt, but I don't know if it is really necessary. Just my opinion.