Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Plastic Shelving Safe for Fabrics? >

Is Plastic Shelving Safe for Fabrics?

Is Plastic Shelving Safe for Fabrics?

Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mousie
I know that unpainted wood has acids that can mess fabrics up over time, but not up to painting right now.
Thought if the plastic shelving was safe, I would trade places with stuff until I feel like swinging a paint brush :mrgreen:
What say you, lol?
I line my shelves with batting including the sides.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:49 AM

I have to disagree somewhat about plastic shelving. Most of the time, for most fabrics, it will be fine. However, some fabrics, especially hand-dyed fabrics, can change color when in prolonged contact with plastics. This happens because of the VOC's (just a fancy term for the gases that slowly leach out of plastics) that are in plastics in small amounts. If you want to use plastic shelving, try making sure that the area is well ventilated, and that you use a nice, thick barrier between the fabric and the shelf - like the acid-free cardboard suggested here, or a few layers of acid-free tissue paper. How do I know this? Aside from being a chemist, I had some fabric change color on me where it was stored in contact with plastic. One section of a folded fat quarter that was supposed to be purple is now orange. 18"x22" of purple, with a big orange rectangle in the middle! I avoid plastic now whenever possible.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 PM

I store strings, salvages and crumbs in zippered plastic "bags." Always leave the zipper open about 3" to let the fabric "breathe"...or am I letting the plastic "breathe"?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i hope its safe, been using it for years.
i have never had any unfortunate issues with the fabrics stacked on plastic shelves other than when they collapse because i think tons of fabric should fit anywhere. but the wooden shelves fell apart sooner than the plastic ones. i have had plastic shelving units for fabrics for about 15 years...no damage to any fabrics.

exactly!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Originally Posted by Mousie
I know that unpainted wood has acids that can mess fabrics up over time, but not up to painting right now.
Thought if the plastic shelving was safe, I would trade places with stuff until I feel like swinging a paint brush :mrgreen:
What say you, lol?
I line my shelves with batting including the sides.
I'm seriously considering something like this. I don't want to remove all the wooden shelves, bc my hubby built them for me, and they are great.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Theresa
I store strings, salvages and crumbs in zippered plastic "bags." Always leave the zipper open about 3" to let the fabric "breathe"...or am I letting the plastic "breathe"?
lol...that's a good question. :D
Old 08-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Great idea on the batting. Thanks. I always have pieces like that available from quilting. Until now, I always put my "ugly" fabric spread on the bottom. If it survives, great. If not, no loss. LOL