Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pleasant surprise..

Pleasant surprise..

Signed up to a crafty class a few months ago when it was on sale for 9.99. Finally decided to look into it yesterday. The class is Traditional Blocks Made Easy...teacher is Anita Grossman Solomon. I have to say I really enjoyed watching her and what she was doing.....this is the first time for me and crafty but probably not the last. I will try the blocks she is teaching. I especially like her idea of potting fusible interfacing on the fab before cutting a diagonal....easier dealing with bias edges....

Blog Entries
    I have a few crafsty classes paid for. Love watching them and learning but not tried the exercises .i enjoy the reading to action firs and follow up in my time which these allow.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Question?? When you sign up for a Craftsy class, do you download it to your computer to watch any time you want?

Blog Entries
    You don't download, you can watch it online any time you want. Crafty is a great bargain. I pay much more for workshops and classes at my guild.

Anita's newest book Rotary Cutting Revolution is fantastic. It has become one of my favorite quilt books.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post

Anita's newest book Rotary Cutting Revolution is fantastic. It has become one of my favorite quilt books.
    What is the book about? Are there patterns in it?

Sounds like something you would really enjoy. Don't forget to show us the finished product.

I've bought several Craftsy classes but haven't watched the first one! I actually forget I have them most of the time!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I signed up for that class, too. I really like it. I've made one block and just ironed all my starched batik squares yesterday. I'm ready to try it, I'm signed up for quite a few classes but, as the saying goes, 'my eyes are bigger than my stomach' and I haven't done a lot with most of them. I think retirement is calling me.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I also have a few classes that I have paid for and haven't viewed will get to one day . I did the 2012 BOM have to sandwich and quilt . I can't decide what backing to get solid or print.
    you will love the classes as I . Good luck.

I love the classes too. I am doing the BOM 2013 very different for me. also doing Carol Doak's, and Kaye England's classed they are two of my favorite teachers. closest thing to being able to take a class in person. enjoy.

I used to watch her on Simply Quilts - she is great! I have signed up for her Craftsy class, too, but just haven't yet had time to get started with it. I was excited to see her join the Craftsy lineup - she is so doggoned creative!

I've been buying the quilting classes and have started the first one - the quality is amazing. I'm really going to enjoy these classes.

I am glad you posted about interfacing on back of fabric you want to cut on the bias. I ihave a plaid I want to use as an inner border and it will only look good if I do bias. It is a closely woven fabric so I think with interfacing I can keep it from stretching and making a wavy border. I intend to measure the quilt carefully and be sure to make the border pieces just to size. Thanks for your comment.

Where do I find info on the crafty classes you all are talking about, please?

www.craftsy.com

Lots of great classes to choose from!

I took Leah Days class on FM. It gave me the courage to quilt my first one.

I love Anita's book Rotary Cutting Revolution. She lives on my sewing table along with Ricky Tims. They are my go-to guys for ideas and information.

I am participating in the 2012 BOM and the 2013 BOM on Craftsy. I wanted to fine tune my skills and these two classes have been great! Being able to watch them when and as many times as I want to has really helped. One class is more traditional than the other class and I love the two styles. These classes are free! I also have signed up for another Pant class.

Give the two BOM classes a try. I think you will really like them.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    I made the Asterisk block from BOM 2013 and then made 15 more of the same to make my 1st quilt, so far thats as far as I've gotten is the blocks but it was fun making them & exciting as it was my 1st attempt at quilting.

Same here! I actually went through one of them and learned to knit (Knit Lab) but have had several others for at least a year now but never get around to using them! I'm beginning to wonder if I should just ask for a refund, but keep thinking I'll do them "some day".

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I've bought several Craftsy classes but haven't watched the first one! I actually forget I have them most of the time!
    :-)
    CAS

I LOVE my Craftsy classes. Since I live in the boonies where classes are nonexistent, this is so convenient for me. I am enrolled in about 8 classes, have watched them all, but haven't had the time to actually finish any of the projects. I just take each project to the point of saying "I can do that," and put them away for later when I'll actually need that technique. There is only one class that I am tempted to ask for a refund. The reason being that I can't seem to connect the concepts to quilting (I think the class would be great for art students.) But otherwise I am quite impressed with the classes. I highly recommend them.
    Please meet my avatar quilting buddy, Myrtle McQuilter

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaGrossmanSolomon View Post
    Hi Geri :-) I'm home now after teaching in your state. I had a pleasant time with the Prairie Star Quilters Guild in St. Charles
    WOW, look at that - she is on here with us!!!!!! How cool is that. Anita, love your Craftsy class.....sorry I missed your presentation at Prairie Star Quilters Guild....St. Charles is not too far from where I am..........

Talked about your fusible interfacing for diagonal control at a bee today.........got some "good idea" comments!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
    I love Anita's book Rotary Cutting Revolution. She lives on my sewing table along with Ricky Tims. They are my go-to guys for ideas and information.
    Yes, now I am going to go to amazon.com and buy all of her books that they have.......her techniques are simple, common sense........no measuring odd size fractional block pieces......so here I go now with my CC in hand!!!!!!

I can't wait until our guild meets in the fall......hopefully I will have done a quilt using her technique/pattern......and I can show and tell!

I've taken her class on Craftsy too and I must say I learned more about preping for successful piecing from her than from any of the other Craftsy classes or from youtube. I am so glad she didn't assume we already knew the tips and techniques that she uses. One of the hints that has worked well for me is pressing the seam open. It makes measurements much more accurate for me. I'm also glad she's a member here too. great!
    jean

They have some great class bargains this week. I signed up for the Norah McMeeking paper piecing class. Has anyone else signed up for this class? Her Bella Bella quilts are Specacular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast