Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Please don't tell me pin wheels are easy.....

Please don't tell me pin wheels are easy.....

Please don't tell me pinwheels are easy.....because if they are I'm turning in my seam ripper, going downstairs and start ripping off wallpaper...finished piecing the top for the porch swing to match the chairs I covered. Did the math for 12" squares...missed...so instead of 24 blocks had to have 54...my always supportive DH pointed out it really looks busy... told him too bad but am a little discouraged myself...On the positive side I did learn a lot of things along the way and understood more of the tips and suggestions I had read. Now for the border, batting, quilting and ties or Velcro...that part doesn't bother me but the pinwheels took their toll...LOL The flash of the camera lit up the yellow...it is not that bright by any means and blends on the value level with the others....Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh I love them. and yes they can be a pain but you did very well. Glad it's over, I know. I want to make some 3D pinwheels soon. I have a baby quilt I need to make soon and may try some on it.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Easy, no I wouldn't go that far! Ha Ha Beautiful work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's beautiful!
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

I agree they are not easy. You did a great job. Just wonder how your are going to keep the neighbors off your porch swing once you have that on it!
    Lisa

Oooh, love your pinwheel quilt! It's one of my favorite quilt blocks, it seems like I end up with pinwheels in lots of my quilts, generally only a few mixed with other blocks. I find them easy to do and easy to look at. I especially like them in kids quilts, which I do for Project Linus.

Beautiful pinwheels.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Blog Entries
    3D pinwheels are so easy. There was a tutorial on here a few years ago and I followed it and made my DGD a beautiful baby quilt; of course she was 2 when I finished it because I procrastinate alot but at least its done and with a lable with all important info on it and a cat because she loves all animals.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    You did a beautiful job. And this will be perfect for the porch. Nice spring colors that mimic a flower garden. The HST can be a tricky thing if you cut them all 1st and then try to sew them together as triangles. I like the line down the middle of a block and sewing on either sided, which means NO BIAS. AND I use sizing too. Let DH do the wallpaper... lol

This is beautiful!!! Worth the work, I would say.

Dina

I LOVE pinwheels and yours is beautiful!!!! Someone will love it!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinwheels are easy if you don't care how the centers match up! If you want the centers to match, they are not easy for me. I even have trouble getting the centers flat enough to quilt them well.

Love the quilt -- you did a great job on the pinwheels. Sorry you had a bad time -- I can sympathize about not figuring things our correctly. Good job!!
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    Years ago I started a Pinwheel when I was still really new to piecing and I thought it would be a little more festive thana plain 4P. Oh boy, was I surprised when every point was cut off and every center had so many bulky seams. A big disappointment for me then.

Your top turned out great. It is a very happy quilt and not 'too busy' to my eyes. I think it is great.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I used the method where you sew all around the outside first then cut them...Was wondering if the diagonal lines and sewing each side is better? Being a perfectionist about matching lines this probably wasn't the best project for me..LOL Been waiting 14 years on the wallpaper so if it gets done...you know who....Not a DIY kinda guy...but many good qualities.. so I'll keep him another 33 years...

As you can see from my avatar, been there done that! And when I got to the end I had one flying backward. You did a great job!
    ​Nancy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks great!

Blog Entries
    Anything with "Pinwheel" gets my attention! I think your quilt is FABULOUS! Doesn't look busy to me at all. I love the colors that you used and I would love to have a chair on my porch (or my sewing room!) covered in it! Great idea to use it for the cover of the porch swing. Please post a picture when you get it all put in place, I would love to see it!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I haven't tackled the pinwheel yet. Yours look great. I really like the colors. Sorry you had so many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
    As you can see from my avatar, been there done that! And when I got to the end I had one flying backward. You did a great job!
    Wow! The colors are so close to the same...I love the black...wish I had thought to separate them that way...would have saved the big wad in the corners and it looks striking with the black contrast...I trimmed so much it looked like we had had a confetti fight. I like your fabric too...have to confess that I used the $4. twin sheets from Walmart..but it's for the porch and with 4 cats will get washed a lot...

Don't be discouraged; your quilt looks great! I wouldn't call it busy, just active. If you want to calm it down, try a narrow white border, than a fairly wide solid border from one of your pinwheel fabrics. But I think once you quilt it, then drape/gather it on your swing, it won't look so busy. Try it out by draping the unfinished top on your swing. Either way, you've done a great job.

Darren

I think they are beautiful. You did a great job!!!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Blog Entries
    I love your pinwheels. I love the colors. Two thumbs up!! I have made many pinwheels and they have ALL been a learning experience. I'm not sure what your asking for suggestions on. But, I think I would keep the border in a plain color. So that your pinwheels SOAR!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Blog Entries
    The time you spent matching them was well worth the effort, you quilt top is very pretty. Great job! Your reward for all the hard work will be cuddling with the beauty.

I think it's lovely, summery and bright! My very first quilt was a pinwheel with gorgeous lilac Waverly fabrics. I had no idea what I was doing and, sure there were some mistakes, but my daughter loved it anyway and still does. I'd bought so much of the co-ordinating fabrics that I had more than enough left over for matching shams and boutique pillows. She uses it to this very day!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast