Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Encourage Each Other

I was at a guild meeting and saw someone's show and tell put down. It came after lots of "WOW" quilts and a person helping made a hurtful comment. ouch....

Blog Entries
    That person should be reprimanded and not allowed to help at these functions

:( How sad.... I guess they forgot that there isnt any quilt police...

Woo. Poor fellow quilter! :(

One should always think, what if someone said that to me? I hope the lady does not give up quilting because of someone else's very hurtful words.

Blog Entries
    Oh gosh, what an awful thing to have happen. Everyone has to start quilting somewhere. I guarantee that my first quilts were not my best work. I truly hope the person who said the hurtful comment realizes she should not have said that.

Not a nice person to openly criticize another's efforts. Everyone's tastes are different.

I am so sorry to hear this. I only hope that other quilters jumped at the chance to make up for this hurtful situation. Remember, we did not learn to walk without stumbling along the way. I know my quilting has improved over the years only with lots of help and encouragement from others.

as the saying goes "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothing at all". The quilter was not asking how it looked, just a show and tell. I feel sorry for the quilter. This other person should not be allowed

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    So sad. Someone who would do that probably does so all the time, no matter what the event. :(

Blog Entries
    In nursing, there is an old thought that "nurses eat there young". That has never been the case in quilting. She was soooo wrong to do this!!!

Blog Entries
    IMHO there is always something nice about the worst quilt. Color, fabrics, design, something. We all want a little appreciation for our work.

I'm sorry about what happened to your friend. How rude! That's what so wonderful about this board. People try very hard to be helpful and complimentary!

Blog Entries
    Oh, that is so sad! Sometimes during show and tell, you can see all the bad sewing, and very obvious mistakes, but those same quilts get great praise and encouragement by the group too! I am so proud of our guild. We do have some world show quality quilters in our group that of course get lots of praise, but even the simplest and most beginning quilt gets attention too.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Isn't it wonderful to be a member of this board "guild" where we don't really have issues like this. :-)

We can each remember, "It's not what you say, but what the hearer perceives you've said, that matters."

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry that this happened :(
    I hope the person receiving it took it with a grain of salt :D:D:D

Wow, that really shows the class of the person who made the comments. I thought those groups are suppose to offer encouragement to new quilters and people who's skills or equipment may not be up to others level. Poor quilter. But did anyone remind this person that they should be supportive not demeaning?

What a shame. Shame on the person who made the remark. In my quilt group we always have show and tell at each meeting. Of course there are lots of ooo's and aaaa's. There is one lady in our group who does not produce a lot of work for various reeasons, but she brought along a finished quilt that she had been making with lots of help and advice from other members, and when she had finished and brought it for show and tell, she had been working on it for 5 years. This lady got a rousing cheer and applause from us all, as we were so proud of her.

oh my...it takes some of us so long to be able to let others see our quilting...this is so sad.
    I like to look at something and see the best, bc I know from my own experience, how hard I have to work at it all.
    I should look at all of life with the same consideration. I try. I hope I succeed even more now that I've read this. hugs to our fellow quilting sister or brother.
    Maybe they could join this board and find much encouragement!
    Thanks for reminding us all...be careful what we say.
    It could be us!

This is one reason people don't like to show what they have made. Even if it is a simple block pattern. I'm still learning and tend to stay away from things I'm not comfortable with. We need a guild where only newbies are allowed and have a good time learning from each other. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I use the Thumper rule..."If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

I remember a comment from a more experienced quilter when I was madly grabbing up every piece of fabric that might possibly fit my color scheme regarding only using fabrics that would be of heirloom quality. My thought at the time was that may be very well and good, but I'm more concerned about getting something done for a little fellow's birthday than about it lasting forever. So far he still has it and is using it six years later. And he still likes the camo look!

Blog Entries
    That is so sad. I wonder sometimes what is wrong with people who don't think before they open their big mouths. I hope someone said something to that meany pants to let them know that is not the way to encourage new quilters.

Blog Entries
    BOO!!! I don't like it when people are unnecessarily rude and hurtful. Tell them their nasty comments are unwelcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoquilter
    I was at a guild meeting and saw someone's show and tell put down. It came after lots of "WOW" quilts and a person helping made a hurtful comment. ouch....
    That is awful. I attend a couple of meetings every month and we have show and tell at both. We have some members that are highly skilled and proficient, and we have some that are not as skilled or experienced.

Never have I heard anyone disparage someone's project...I would be shocked if I ever did. Your title says it all...we need to encourage each other, and it always correct to be kind.

I hope you or several of you spoke to the woman that was criticized and let her know that you appreciated her work. It would be a real shame if she quit participating because of this experience.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast