Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please explain sets >

Please explain sets

Please explain sets

Old 12-14-2013, 04:59 PM

Unhappy Please explain sets

I thought I had this figured out but obviously I didn't since I still need more blocks. I am making the Seven Shirts Quilt and the directions say I should need 3 sets of each of the 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 patch strips, or at least that's what I thought it said. Can you explain what the sets are for the next time I do a nine patch I will know. I have 9 blocks and I'm supposed to have 24.

http://thethriftyquilter.blogspot.co...e-thrifty.html
Old 12-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Can't explain the sets, but wow! That is going to be pretty.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM

I 'think' the sets are 3 sets of 2.5" strips that you sew together, making 1 long piece. Then cut that into smaller pieces to make up 3/9th of your 9 patch. I did'nt read real close, but that is what I read in step 2.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:44 PM

I made that quilt a couple of years ago. I can't help you on her directions because I modified it to make a larger throw, and again to make a twin. I just figured out how many snowball and how many 9 patch blocks I needed and went from there keeping the sizes she used for finished blocks. They're favorite quilts in our family, I hope yours turn out as successful.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by carrieg View Post
I 'think' the sets are 3 sets of 2.5" strips that you sew together, making 1 long piece. Then cut that into smaller pieces to make up 3/9th of your 9 patch. I did'nt read real close, but that is what I read in step 2.
This is what I thought it meant as well but I only ended up with the 9 blocks. I got the 24 snowball blocks without any confusion. Oh well luckily I have enough of the fabrics left to make the missing 18 blocks. Once you get all the parts done it goes together rather quickly
Old 12-14-2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by RainydayQuilter View Post
I made that quilt a couple of years ago. I can't help you on her directions because I modified it to make a larger throw, and again to make a twin. I just figured out how many snowball and how many 9 patch blocks I needed and went from there keeping the sizes she used for finished blocks. They're favorite quilts in our family, I hope yours turn out as successful.
This is my first quilt I've ever done start to finish. I helped my mother hand quilt but she used pre-printed panels and just stitched around the prints.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:21 PM

I've recently made this top. the instructions say, "Sew together strips, using your longest 2 1/2" strips and a precise 1/4" seam. 3 sets of each will probably be enough. 1st dark, light, 2nd dark light, dark chosen for centre, light 3rd dark, a light, 4th dark" .

I understood this to mean that I made (at least) 3 strips using the longest pieces I cut from the shirts, dont forget that you are using 5 dark shirts, One colour is chosed for the centre, the other 4 I numbered 1,2,3,4. I made the following strips using the longest pieces :- Dark#1, Light, Dark#2; Light, Centre Dark, Light; Dark #3 Light, Dark#4 . These strips are then subcut 2 1/2" wide you will need 24 of each colourway to make the 24 blocks. Hope this helps.

Lesley