Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please explain a THANGLE >

Please explain a THANGLE

Please explain a THANGLE

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by tyoung
A thangle is a strip of paper with sewing and cutting lines to make half square triangles. You can buy them in a variety of sizes. To use them you cut out a strip that the Thangle requires and sew with a shorter stitch length. Then you tear off the sewn paper and voila!
I don't like them at all. I got sucked into buying some with a quilt shop and have them stored. I like the fons and porter half and quarter ruler much better.
http://www.blockcentral.com/hst/hst-1inch.pdf Go here to print them off for free. Other sizes are there for the taking as well.
Thanks for the info. I went to this website, but could only find the one for the 1 inch finished size. Was I doing something wrong?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Hmm I can see they would be useful for a big project. I am primarily a "scrapper" so probably would not use them a lot.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
A thangle is a strip of paper with sewing and cutting lines to make half square triangles. You can buy them in a variety of sizes. To use them you cut out a strip that the Thangle requires and sew with a shorter stitch length. Then you tear off the sewn paper and voila!
I don't like them at all. I got sucked into buying some with a quilt shop and have them stored. I like the fons and porter half and quarter ruler much better.
http://www.blockcentral.com/hst/hst-1inch.pdf Go here to print them off for free. Other sizes are there for the taking as well.
Thanks for the info. I went to this website, but could only find the one for the 1 inch finished size. Was I doing something wrong?
http://www.thangles.com/order_packs.html
You can order different sizes...
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM

I have read so many posts about thangles, and I thought that I could figure out what everyone was talking about, but have finally decided to just jump out here and show off my ignorance. Can someone please explain just what they are, can you make them, do you buy them? Any words of advice or info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It sounds like others have explained what Thangles are. If you don't know how to use them, there are instructions in the package, plus there's a good demo online. I like to use Thangles for scrap projects as well as "new" projects. At the end of making a quilt, i'll use some of the extra fabric and make some HSTs using Thangles, and then make shoo-fly blocks or whatever block. In no time at all, there are enough scrap blocks to make a table runner or scrappy quilt, etc. They'll help you make accurate HSTs. If you print your own HST grids from online sites, be sure they print accurately. The ones i printed from a site were off by 1/8 - 1/4."
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
http://www.thangles.com/order_packs.html
You can order different sizes...
Thanks again for someone who directs me to the answer. I will probably be doing some of them. Looks very accurate and easy. Thanks again to everyone who helped with this question.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:10 PM

Take off the last hst and inch size. It will take you to a directory.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Take off the last hst and inch size. It will take you to a directory.
Good info, thanks again so much. I found the other sizes.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 PM

I Got sucked into the buck a block of the month thing. Only did a few. Hated them.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM

I love using the thangles...they work great with strips of fabric such as 2-1/2"....you don't have to worry about the 1/8" increments.
The only part I don't like is tearing away the paper...but I usually save that for when I am sitting in front of the tv.