Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Please give advise >
  • Please give advise

• Please give advise

Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
    Power Poster

I like to prewash yardage. I love getting all the finish and chems out of it and then pressing clean, soft fabric, all ready for use. It makes it nicer to work with.
    Old 09-19-2013, 05:39 AM

I used to wash but don't now. I really don't feel it is necessary and have never had a problem. After it is quilted, it will never lie flat like after it is ironed. I like the look of the fabric after it is used and puckered up (for lack of words).
    Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM

Hey, Scissor Queen, I absolutely agree with you. Everyone needs to do what works for him/her. It's good to hear from you. froggyintexas
    Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I don't prewash. Lots of people do. I don't use a steam iron. I have a dry iron and if I need a little steam I use a spray bottle. I use Best Press before I cut.

Do what works for you and don't worry about what somebody else does. There truly is no one way to make a quilt. I have seen the same block done several different ways. None of them are the one "right" way to make the block, they're just different ways.
    Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Neesie,

I agree with you. My first large quilt was a white background, with red Razorback embroidery, and with red borders. I tested the red -- a small sliver in a glass of hot water. WOW! Did it ever bleed. So, I hunted for a product which would "set" the dye in that fabric. I found it, too. It's made by Rit Dye and I will always dye set vibrant colors. I don't want to take a chance on "flushing" all the work that goes into a quilt! Just MHO! LOL. Every person has to do what's right for them. I prewash and dye-set anything I suspect will bleed. It only takes a small amount of time, compared to the time invested in making a quilt. AGAIN, there are no "absolute" hard and fast rules -- whatever works!

Jeanette Frantz
    Old 09-19-2013, 06:54 PM

I want to thank all of you for your opinions. you guys are great. I think what I'm going to do is start with a table runner and wash, dry, press.
    Then make another runner without washing anything. I think that's the only way works best for me. I could not thank all of you enough for responding.
    I was so happy when I saw how many of you did reply and you made me a very happy lady.
    Happy Quilting!!!!,
    Scuddles, aka Lori
    Old 09-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scuddles
    I want to thank all of you for your opinions. you guys are great. I think what I'm going to do is start with a table runner and wash, dry, press.
    Then make another runner without washing anything. I think that's the only way works best for me. I could not thank all of you enough for responding.
    I was so happy when I saw how many of you did reply and you made me a very happy lady.
    Happy Quilting!!!!,
    Scuddles, aka Lori
    Here's some input that a LQS owner told me she got from frabric manufacturer reps: "Most quality fabrics sold in the US are colorfast. The exceptions usually are those that are color saturated, i.e. navy, reds, black. To "test" those possible culprits vigorously rub a sheet of clean, white paper on the fabric. If you see any color on the white paper, then prewash and use a color setter or color catcher. " As far as steam vs. dry--I personally like steam unless it is a very hot, heavy iron--otherwise I think it's hard to get a crisp press---but each to her own on that!
    Old 09-20-2013, 06:34 PM

Lori -- my 2 cents. I was not a pre-washer, but had a disaster with a red batik -- yeah it bled, so I started washing all the batiks. Then I made a flannel quilt with flannels from many LQS brands -- and it seemed like every piece of flannel shrank a different amount, so I started washing flannels.

Then, I started having a rash on my hands and a headache when I was working with the unwashed fabric and so I started washing the fabric before I started a quilt (I washed and starched). Finally, I started getting migranes just being in the sewing room for any length of time -- now I am trying to wash all my fabric. I have heard that the unwashed fabric has formaldehyde and other pesticides to keep the bugs away from the cotton, and my body doesn't like them much.
    Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 PM

I love this quilting club. I was amazed at all you people joined in for their opinions. You are all so sweet. I just received my order from Jenny. I ordered a Crackle jelly donut and a solid white jelly roll and 3 yards of the green crackle for the border and the backing. I guess the 3 yards of green fabric I will pre wash because it is really dark green. As a matter of fact, I will wash that by itself.
    I really want to thank you guys for helping me out in deciding what I want to do.
    I could be imagining this but, did you ever buy fabric that has a weird odor to it. Once in a while it will happen, I am going to wash those, because, I am asthmatic and it makes me wheeze
    Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Scuddles
    I could be imagining this but, did you ever buy fabric that has a weird odor to it. Once in a while it will happen, I am going to wash those, because, I am asthmatic and it makes me wheeze
    YES! Weird odors are rather disturbing, to say the least. My nose is pretty sensitive, as are my sinuses. Sometimes I feel it in my sinuses, even before my nose picks up on it.
    Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 AM

I think it is interesting how many LQS owners claim that it is rare for "quality" fabric to bleed. I hear it on the board and firsthand from the LQS owners. Unfortunately I have not had that experience with "quality" fabrics. Their non-bleed rate is about the same for me as any other fabric I use.