Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help: Brother sewing machine keeps bending needles >

Please help: Brother sewing machine keeps bending needles

Please help: Brother sewing machine keeps bending needles

Old 10-14-2016, 06:43 PM

Default Please help: Brother sewing machine keeps bending needles

I have a Brother PC-420 (the Project Runway version), and between yesterday and today, it's bent/broken three needles! I have no idea why. Here's what happened, hopefully there are some clues for those of you who have more experience than I do:
Needle break #1:
I've been sewing for a week straight, and yesterday the needle gets bent during a stitch. I couldn't find an obvious cause, so just switched the needle.
Needle break #2:
Well, this was just a bending. The next day, I was checking the new needle to make sure it wasn't going to break and just with one stitch, it was bent a little tiny bit! I put in a new needle, and made double sure everything was in the right position and nothing was mis-aligned before I started sewing again.
Needle break #3
I sewed for half a day with no problem. At some point, I realized the auto threader stopped working. It seemed to be no longer aligned with the needle's eye. To fix it, I went to remove and re-install the needle, and I realized the needle was kind of stuck in the needle bar. It took a little wiggling to get out. I gave up on the threader for an hour before I decided to try fixing the alignment again. This time, the needle was REALLY stuck in the bar. It didn't budge with any amount of wiggling. I gave up on it for good, and when I started sewing, the needle was WAY bent and then broke off. I had to use pliers to pull the "stump" out of the needle bar.
So the clues:
  • Needle gets wedged tightly, unusually so
  • Auto threader not aligning
  • Repeat bending/breaking despite efforts to check position

I suspect it has to do with something in the needle bar. Maybe some small part that's loose or broken?
Has anyone experienced something similar? I don't really know what to look for when I'm examining the needle bar.

(I've already looked in the needle bar for any sort of culprit, and I removed the bobbin/shuttle to clean and look. Nothing suspicious, only a bit of lint. I haven't been sewing anything heavy duty, just some thin satin.)

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-2016, 06:58 PM

Could be the timing belt. I'd take it in for service.

http://www.sewitworks.com/timing/

Last edited by Bree123; 10-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:03 PM

Check the plate that covers the bobbin area. Even the slightest movement one way or another will cause the needle to hit it. The opening is so narrow, I have to make sure the needle clear when I reinstall it after cleaning.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:22 PM

Hi Blue Algae,

With the needle breaking often, and the threader being miss-aligned, I suspect you're right about the needle bar. It may have been knocked out of alignment. There are 3 needle bar timing positions to check. It could be knocked up or down, or front to back, or too close or too far away from the hook.

If you put a new needle in and turn the handwheel, you can see where the needle goes into the needle plate hole. You can tell if it is too far forward or backward -- it should be centered.

To check if the needle bar has been knocked up or down is a bit more tricky. You remove the needle plate and bobbin case, put your needle in the far left position, and watch where the hook meets the eye of the needle. The hook point should meet the top of the eye, or just above the eye.

Another timing setting is needle/hook distance. There should only be a 1 thread space between the needle and the hook, and they shouldn't be crashing together.

Another thought... with the needle getting wedged tightly, there may be something stuck in the hole. If the needle can't go all the way up, that throws off the timing -- the needle position is too low.

Generally, you can tell if the timing is off by sewing a zig-zag stitch. If it skips on one side, you know the timing is off. You may have to sew 12" to 18" for a skip to show up. If you find that any of these timing settings are off, you shouldn't try to adjust them yourself. It's time to take the machine to the shop.

Please let me know what you find.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:28 PM

Hmm, I've never considered timing before. It's a possibility. Thanks, Bree123, for the link. I'd love to test the timing with the method in the link (and with quiltedsunshine's suggestion of sewing a zig zag), but I've now found that I'm unable to insert a needle at all. Looked at the bar with a mirror from different angles, can't tell what's up there blocking it…

It does sound like I might need to get the machine serviced. Before I do that, I'll check the needle bar alignment just in case it's less time-consuming than sending the machine out.

Thanks, everyone! Been a long day, so I really appreciate these suggestions!
Old 10-15-2016, 01:42 AM
Gay

I'm wondering if the needle is hitting the plate, thus bending and breaking needles. You should be able to see pitting around the hole if this is the case, and that could force the needle higher into the bar. I don't use the plate with the small hole in it for that reason, I use the one for zigzag and fancy stitches. The needle can hit the plate just trying to sew over patchwork seams, fancy trims, or if you tug on the fabric. Have done it several times.

The needle threader should have a very fine wire, which should go through the eye of the needle and pick up the thread. If the needle isn't inserted properly the threader won't work. Mine was 'off' last week and I only had to bend it a little till it lined up with the eye. I think you need someone to look at the machine.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:10 AM

Do be careful with trying to keep pushing your machine more & more. Timing issues are rare but potentially catastrophic to machines & continuing to try to operate it after attempting fix it yourself could cause even more problems (I'm not admitting to anything, but I may have had to learn that lesson the hard way myself -- ok, I'm guilty as charged. Back when I first started sewing on a regular basis, the timing on the Singer 353 I inherited was off & I just kept trying different things to "fix" it; by the time I finally took it in for repair, the rep told me I had caused an additional $60 worth of damage to my machine & that it would take 3 weeks instead of one to do the repairs because he had to special order parts. He's now serviced my machine for the past 15+ years & is super honest and affordable, so apparently I really did do a number on my poor little machine)

You've already done a thorough job of addressing all the possible options for needles breaking that one can resolve without the help of a service tech. A machine that's out of time can cause additional problems -- like a warped needle bar -- and it's just not worth it to keep trying to run the machine even briefly.

If you're on a deadline with your quilting project(s), you might look into whether any of your LQS'es will allow you to use/rent time on their classroom machines. I know a couple of stores by me give customers that option (one lets anyone use their Berninas free as long as they're sewing fabric purchased at their shop there isn't a class in session; another one rents out the use of her Sweet 16 by the hour; the third one sometimes lets customers come in & use the machines outside of class if they are servicing her machine and it's taking more than a few days). Hope you can get it fixed quickly! I always feel like I'm missing a part of me without my machine.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:11 AM

Make sure there is no drag fabric pulling the needle while sewing will bend needs . I have had all brothers since 1994 and usually when I have bent needles it is usually dragging or pulling unless the needle is getting caught on a threadnest then it will break but that is rare. Is it forming any stitches at all if not timing is off. also check your bobbin case to make sure it wasn't damaged by the bent needle
Old 10-15-2016, 05:12 PM

I dropped mine off at the shop today and they're going to call me in a few days to let me know. I agree that timing is going to be something that is better left to the shop to figure out. Although the cause might be simple, on the off chance that it is more complicated, I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing to look at it! I just don't trust myself at this point because nothing seems suspicious — no damaged bobbin case, etc.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your thoughts!
Old 10-16-2016, 04:42 AM

Please let us know what it was with your machine!!