Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please HELP  Designer I users  Tension Trouble >

Please HELP Designer I users Tension Trouble

Please HELP Designer I users Tension Trouble

Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 AM

My Terrific mom gave me her Designer I sewing machine I have been trying to do some practice stiches on it. She is not available right now and is still trying to locate the manual

I have ironed a piece of med-weight stabilizer onto some muslin. Just trying the stippling and blanket stiches.
I wound Coats & Clark all purpose thread on the H (green) bobbin. the thread says 37% cotton 63% poly
I have cleaned the bobbin case, changed needles and still
This is what my stiches look like
If anyone can tell me How to change the tension I would surely appreciate it. Thank you all
Attached Thumbnails attachment-261586.jpe  
Old 09-24-2011, 09:04 AM

I dont' have a Designer I but this is what I do when I have tension trouble. I usually use a straight seam.

Each time you make a run, write down which tension setting the machine was on, Look at it, evaluate the stitch, turn the setting one space, write down setting. make the run of stitches, look at it, evaluate.....is it getting better or worst. If work move the other direction. You will find the correct setting but it will take time.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

This is the back, right? Looks like you need to increase your to tension a bit and slow down on curves. Having said that, I really think your issue is the selection of testing materials. The muslin is great but the iron on stabilizer ia going to make it too stiff. Before you start playing with tension, I would make a practice sandwich of top, batting, backing. I have not needed to change the tension for FMQ on my D1
Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
This is the back, right? Looks like you need to increase your to tension a bit and slow down on curves. Having said that, I really think your issue is the selection of testing materials. The muslin is great but the iron on stabilizer ia going to make it too stiff. Before you start playing with tension, I would make a practice sandwich of top, batting, backing. I have not needed to change the tension for FMQ on my D1
The picture is the Front LOL... anyway.. this isnt free motion it is the stippling stitch on the machine. with the foot it said to use. The stabilizer is not stiff at all. Thank you
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 AM

I thought one of the features of the Designer 1 was to automatically set the tension based on the stitch, length of stitch, fabric, etc. It looks like the top tension is too tight, though, so I'd have to agree with PaperPrincess and say that if this is a quilting stitch, you might want to make a practice sandwich rather than using muslin with a stabilizer. It's worth a try!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Thank you for the advice.. I have it fixed.. I put the bobbin back in and this time I actually but it thru the tension lever.... DUH ... New machines.. Ugh. I feel like an idiot.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by familyfun
Thank you for the advice.. I have it fixed.. I put the bobbin back in and this time I actually but it thru the tension lever.... DUH ... New machines.. Ugh. I feel like an idiot.
That's too funny! I never thought about that, but I should have - my mother did the same thing on a borrowed machine a couple of months ago!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Yes you CAN change tension on the Designer I!
Go to the "set" menue at the top of the screen.
Adjust tension by adding or subtracting. It will reset back to the standard setting when you turn the power off.